Thursday, February 22, 2007

Hey, Let's Twist!

Folks of "a certain age" will remember the cultural tsunami that was called "the twist." If you don't know what I'm going on about, stop now and rent TWIST, a really swell 1992 documentary on the subject that was directed by Ron Mann.

Like any other craze, the twist's popularity was reflected in the marketplace's budget bins. Heck, many "mainstream" artists clamored to coin some of that sweet, sweet twist money by recording their own twist albums!

Here are a very small random sampling of TWIST albums for your edification.

A surreal classic cover!

No, not CHUBBY CHECKER, but TUBBY CHESS!

Oh, I get it! OLIVER TWIST!

ROBBY ROBBER and THE HIJACKERS

We dare ya! What are ya... chicken?

Could this be any more generic?

Thanks for diggin' my scene, cats 'n' kittens. And remember... Don't Knock The Twist!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger CS said...

Good grief, how many albums do you have stashed away there at your house? This set is really twisted...

February 24, 2007 12:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

WHERE DO YOU FIND THESE THINGS???

February 25, 2007 12:55 AM  
Blogger russkal said...

That's a twisted collection you got there, man.

Hey, didn't Chubby Checker invented the "Twist?"

Just curious

February 25, 2007 10:30 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

Come on a little Miss
And do the twist
Eeee-ahh
Round and around and around and around we go again...

Oh man, we were SO cool!

Let's twist again
Like we did last summer
Let's twist again
Like we did last year!
Let's twist again,
Things are really hummin'
Let's twist again,
Twistin' time is here!
Eee-ah, Twist!

(Can you believe I actually remember these lyrics...) Come on everybody! Dance party at Chuck's!

February 25, 2007 11:16 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

I have to admit, these aren't all "my" records! I had most of them at one time or another, though. I got rid of these twist discs at a yard sale we had about 3-1/2 years ago. I was trying to clear out space in our family room and figured I'd get rid of any LP I hadn't listened to in the last 10 years (or was unlikely to spin in the NEXT 10 years!)

Most of this dreck came from thrift stores, rummage sales, package deals, etc. Time was, if I was in a Goodwill and saw something "funny-looking" I'd plop down the dollar just for novelty's sake.

I'm a little more selective these days. Most of the illustrations I've been using were stolen from eBay listings. (I don't have a digital camera, folks!)

Yep, Chubby Checket had the BIG hit with the twist, but it was actually a close cover of the original record by Hank Ballard and The Midnighters. Hank, presumably, cleaned up on the writer's royalties...

Thanks, as always, for reading & chiming in!

February 26, 2007 8:33 AM  
Blogger Sornie said...

Good lord, everyone seems to have released a "twist" record, sort of like that damn "macarena" back in the 90s.

February 27, 2007 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home