Monday, February 05, 2007

The Design Label

Note: Looks like there's an issue with Blogger's ability to handle the graphics embedded here and elsewhere. Sorry 'bout that, gang!.

Update: I've re-loaded the photos just to see if it would help.


Wow! I found a website that has a discography for the DESIGN record label! These guys were a budget label to a budget label! Sounds like they were the low-priced outlet for PICKWICK RECORDS, which was right at home in the cheap-o section of the record department. Let's take a look, shall we?




Here's one of my all-time favorites! "The Surfsiders Sing The Beach Boys Songbook!" Who are the Surfsiders, you ask? I don't know for sure, but it sounds like a greasy wedding band fronted by some sort of third-tier barbershop quartet. I guess the idea is any kind of harmony is harmony. The number one mind-roaster here is their take on "When I Grow Up To Be A Man."

I love this album!



This is a somewhat legendary album amongst "those in the know!" You see, Lou Reed worked for this company before going on to form The Velvet Underground. The song, "Cycle Annie" by The Beachnuts is our boy Lou! It's a pretty funny song, as well, about a real tough biker chick. A verse about her boyfriend contains the lyric: "I ain't saying nothin' / I ain't sayin' that I mind/ But when both of them get on that bike / It's Joe who sits behind!" Take a walk on the wild side, Joe!



Lordy, lordy! There were dozen, if not hundreds, of budget bin Batman albums, back in tha day. This is the one we had at Davison HQ. It's basically a cocktail trio centered around a cheese-ball Hammond organ. Extra points are score by the horrendous tape smear at the very beginning of the Batman Theme!



Finally, we hit the age of Aquarius! Gotta love that "Sounds Like Woodstock" gambit. No it isn't Woodstock, it just sounds like Woodstock. The band name? STONED HAIR! What's not to love, I ask you?

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Easy now, Craig. Take a couple of deep breaths... Just relax... Take a couple of downers and go to bed... These hallucinations of bands called "The Beachnuts" will go away soon...

Oh! Wait! It's the Kingstown Trio! Wimoweh, wimoweh!! Chubby Chesspiece!! Cool! And - can it be?!? Oh no! It's Joan Booze! (Or is it Jane Jett and the Blacklivers?!) All on one label?!?! Can it be??? And they've thrown in a cut of the psychodelic sound of Slick Grace and the William Jefferson Clinton Spaceship!!! Oh man, this is just too wonderful!

February 06, 2007 8:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This is excellent. It's like getting a lesson on the history of obscure music every time I visit your blog.

The Beachnuts??

February 06, 2007 11:22 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Wasn't Beachnuts the name of a gum they used to make?

Sadly I am having trouble seeing the covers. :-( The names are entertaining enough though!

February 07, 2007 12:12 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

wizened: Cubby Chesspiece?!?! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, yo! Maybe I should wade into the deep, deep waters of budget TWIST albums! MWAH-HAH-HAH-HAH-HAH!

dorky dad:Yes, The Beachnuts!

whim: Not to be confused with THE 1910 FRUITGUM COMPANY! I hope the photos are displaying now that I've deleted and re-inserted them.

February 07, 2007 8:53 AM

February 07, 2007 10:51 AM  
Blogger CS said...

Good grief, how many records do you own??? I think Stoned Hair is my new favorite band name.

February 07, 2007 9:49 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

I can see them!!!

Ooooo the Batman cover is really cool! I love that they put all of the action words on there. Zowie is my favorite.

February 08, 2007 12:29 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

Craig,

Would you mind if I use your picture of the Batman album cover for my upload of the album over on my blog? I'll give you full credit for it of course.

Thanks!
Tony
Way Out Junk

March 05, 2007 12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

When ever I surf on web I come to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]who-really-cares-anyway.blogspot.com really contains lot of useful information. Let me tell you one thing guys, some time we really forget to pay attention towards our health. Are you really serious about your weight?. Recent Research indicates that about 50% of all USA grownups are either obese or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these people, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? Quick weight loss can be achived with little effort. Some improvement in of daily activity can help us in losing weight quickly.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effective weight loss.

March 20, 2010 8:52 PM  
Anonymous eco lodge said...

Hello congratulations you did an excellent work with this blog about The Design Label I would like to know more about this topic and please when you have any update contac me please to read it. thanks for sharing!!

September 13, 2010 6:43 PM  
Anonymous Wanda said...

I like that biker lyric too.

March 24, 2016 2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home