Monday, January 29, 2007

You're Bringin' Me Dah-hown

Well, I wasn't going to write any more posts about budget records from the 'sixties, but I have been convinced that the nay-sayers represent "the voice of Neville Chamberlain in our times." So here' s another courageous blow for freedom and democracy!

The year: 1966.

The Song: "Winchester Cathedral."

The Artist: The New Vaudeville Band.

Somehow this one-shot novelty-a-go-go tune managed to inspire countless cover versions (Lawrence Welk's, for one!) and innumerable budget bin goodies! Witness:

Now this is rich! The "artists" named here are "The OLD Vaudelville COMBO" rather than "The NEW Vaudeville BAND." Well, har-de-har-har!


Um, I just won this one off of eBay. My only defense is, I had a 99 cent winning bid and the seller is local. Also, this fits in with my HIT RECORDS / MODERN SOUND fetish. So sue me!





Can't Quite make out the performers credited here. It's something like "Happy O'Houlihan and his Teardrops?" Nice photo of a very bored-looking young lady and a stained glass window, though.





I got really excited when I saw the listing for this one! C'mon - "WHERE IT'S AT - BEAT '66" screams garage-punk goodness! Then I saw the "Featuring Winchester Cathedral" banner and all cred immediately vanished. Great cover shot of fruggin' teens almost makes me want to buy this some day, any way.



Well, there you go! Another blow for freedom!

(Hey, come to think of it, "Budget bin Album" sounds like a Terrorist cell leader! Have I been duped?!?!?)

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

I just love the Vaudelville cover!

January 29, 2007 3:35 PM  
Blogger Max and Me said...

these are all so cool! i do remember that song. keep posting!

January 29, 2007 4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EGGZACTO-

YOUR BLOG IS COOL. HAPPY B-DAY ON THE 2ND (GROUNDEGGS DAY?)

SCOTT

January 29, 2007 5:43 PM  
Blogger CS said...

Now that was one peppy little song. When I went to the actual Winchester Cathedral as a teenager, I coulnd't stop singing it.

January 29, 2007 10:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I should have you meet my wife's uncle. You guys probably have many of the same records.

Anyway, look on my site: I've tagged you with six weird things about yourself.

January 30, 2007 12:41 AM  
Blogger KenM said...

"Happy O'Houlihan and his Teardrops"

Ha ha! Love it!

January 30, 2007 9:24 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

Well, thanks to dorky dad, it looks like the subject of my next post has been decided for me!

It won't be pretty, folks! You'll be begging for posts about Battman LPs.

Thanks for the early B-day greetings, Scott!

January 30, 2007 9:24 AM  
Blogger DirkStar said...

I love the new run of musical covers.

You certainly have a funny record collection...

Loved the daughter post.

I'm only three months away from the big day. I can hardly wait.

January 30, 2007 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home