Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Blame Canada!

Canada's ARC records released quite a few cash-in LPs in addition to more "legit" product back in the 'sixties. With the exception of the "BEATLEMANIA" LP in the lower left corner, the above albums were credited to "THE MERSEYBEATS OF LIVERPOOL." Never mind that there was an actual group called "THE MERSEYBEATS" they decided to create a happening moniker that would absolutely scream "British Invasion!" I have the feeling that these might have been licensed from the British EMBASSY label, who were the UK budget barons of the era.

Boy, I'll bet these are really smokin' versions of the girl group sound! I'm not familiar with the song "Sweet William" though.


Seems to me I've seen a variety of "instrumental" LPs on Arc credited to "THE PHANTOMS" as well as "THE SHADOWS." Yep, there was already a hit-making British band called "THE SHADOWS!" Do you see a trend here?



Sittin' on the dock of the bay, eh? What must this have sounded like, I wonder?

ARC (and "ARC International") are one of my fave "sound-alike" companies. Too bad it costs so much to buy these things on eBay, which is where I've be (mostly) grabbing these pix.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That's just odd. Oh well, as previously noted, copyright laws were different back then.

January 25, 2007 12:42 AM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

I never knew stuff like this existed. Thanks for the history/music lessons!

January 25, 2007 1:41 AM  
Blogger Hazy Dave said...

"Sweet William" was by Millie Small, and sounds an awful lot like "My Boy Lollipop", at least in Millie's version.

January 25, 2007 2:05 PM  
Blogger Allan said...

This is cool stuff...I remember buying what I THOUGHT was a Beatles record when I was 8 or 9. I've been hellbent on destroying the music industry ever since!

January 26, 2007 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home