Monday, February 12, 2007

Just Like Adam

I bought my home PC back in 1998. It's a no-name (PIONEX?!??!?) dealie that I picked up at SAM'S CLUB. It has a Pentium processor (note the absence of roman numerals) that has 48 MEGS of un-expandable RAM and was configured for Windows 95.

I installed a second 10 GIG hard drive and a CD-RW drive over the years. It has served me well, but it's been limping along the past year or so. It probably needs a new backup battery because I have to reset the clock every time I boot it up. The TWAIN what sis crapped out on me and I can no longer scan anything.

For years I have been trying to squeeze a new computer into the household budget and for years I have been thwarted! Every time I think I have a wind-fall coming something breaks on our van and there goes the PC fund.

One of my main desires for my "next" computer is that I be able to import, edit and burn videos. I asked Steve Stanchfield of THUNDERBEAN ANIMATION what would be a good setup for this and he counselled me to buy an older iMac. They could be had for about $100, used and they're great little work-horses for this sort of thing, he says.

Well, I finally took the plunge last week! I have an iMac en route to me and it should be here Wednesday.

This is kind of scary, as I have never used an Apple computer before and I envision there being next to no local resources for upgrading or fine-tuning it. And software selection? HAH!!!!

But that's what I've gotten myself into, folks! I'll no doubt blog on my progress in realizing my goal of producing DVDs as the weeks and months crawl by.

Just like Adam, I've been tempted by an Apple. (Wait that was Eve, not Steve, right?)

Lord help me!

5 Comments:

Blogger CS said...

I used an Apple IIe to write my master's thesis on, but no apple since even though people swear by them. Hope you love it! I just got a new laptop (an Acer) - I'll have to post about that soon.

February 12, 2007 1:52 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Congrats on your new computer! Everyone I know who owns an Apple loves it.

February 12, 2007 4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

egg-
panky just went mac with a $2100 laptop and he loves it. so i gues, fret not. if you need some tech help, i'm sure he'll hook you up as best he can

scott

February 12, 2007 5:53 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

$2,100?!?! That's about what I spent on van repairs last year! See? What did I tell ya!

I can see that an additional 256MEG of memory is going to be abot $50. I've found an extrnal fire-wire DVD-RW drive for about $110 and the AV port looks to be another $100.

I've exhausted my ready petty cash, but (oh no here we go again!) it looks like I'll be getting some money back from the IRS, so maybe..?

February 12, 2007 9:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You've managed to keep a computer limping along for seven years? You are impressive. Mine usually break down after seven weeks. Then we spend years using a crappy computer ...

Macs are really easy to use. You should have no problem with this one ...

February 13, 2007 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home