Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I Am a Media Whore


The guy in the circle is none other than yours truly.

A company called Clean Burn Fuels is opening an ethanol plant in nearby Raeford, NC.

That morning, while eating breakfast, I saw an article about this company conducting a cattle call for job applicants that afternoon at 3:00.

According to the next morning's newspaper over 300 people showed up for the 41 available jobs. 300 seems about right.

I did manage to turn in an application, with resume, and have a brief job interview for the "Lab Tech" and "Office Administrator" positions.

Since the plant is slated to open up in January, if they call me back it will be in the next couple of weeks.

Here's hoping...


I also had a couple other job interviews this month.

One was at a window manufacturing company. They're looking for a production manager. That not exactly anything I've done before, but I emphasized my years of supervision and middle-management exprience.

I had a nice, hour-long talk with the Director of Operations. He stressed that this was only an initial interview and it would probably be after the holidays before any furth action is taken.

Yesterday, I had a total "Nightmare Alley" experience as I interviewed for a Q.A. Inspector position at Smithfield Packing.

If the glamor of working at a slaughterhouse wasn't enough, the 4:00am start time, temperature estremes from stultifying hot and humid (on the kill floor) to uber-frosty (in the refrigerated wharehouse) were just so much icing on the cake.


Well, what can I say but,

Merry Christmas!

9 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Ooohh.... where can I get me an autographed copy of that?

G'luck on the job front.

All the best to you and yours Craig.

December 22, 2009 11:13 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

Best of luck Craig.

And a very Happy Christmas to you all there.

December 22, 2009 3:34 PM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

Very best of luck on the clean fuels job, and I sincerely hope you get it over the slaughterhouse job.

December 22, 2009 4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

were the ethanol people impressed by your claim of being a leading methane producer in the fayetteville region?

December 22, 2009 8:22 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

Anonymous: I don't know if they were impressed, but I made sure they were well aware of it.

All: Thanks for the kind wishes and for stopping by my sadly neglected blog. You'd think I'd have MORE, rather than less, time for updates, what with being jobless and all.

December 23, 2009 7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It agree, it is a remarkable piece

December 28, 2009 1:56 AM  
Blogger Allan said...

There's always Happy New Year! Crossed fingers for Clean Fuels job.

December 31, 2009 9:15 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

Thanks, Allan.

Perhaps I can realise my long -held goal of crossing over from lower-middle class into the trailer-trash strata in 2010.

January 01, 2010 7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

January 02, 2010 5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home