Tuesday, December 08, 2009

A Couple Quick Quotes

I read these two bits within the past twelve hours and I figured I'd share them here.

First up, is a passage from a book I am currently reading, "Always Looking Up" by Michael J. Fox. In a section titled "Faith," Michael describes being visited by some Jehova's Witnesses:


What followed was the standard pitch from which I could not sway them... You could say that my willingness to hear them out was an expression of my faith, my instinct that it's always good to give something when I can... It was unlikely that during those few minutes on the porch I could be coerced into surrendering my soul, so there was no reason why I couldn't surrender a few minutes of my time. This was an opportunity to hear their point of view, not defend my own. All I had to do was sit down and listen.

Listening to people esposue beliefs different from mine is informative, not threatening, because the only thing that can alter my worldview is a new and undeniable truth, and contrary to what Jack Nicholson says in A Few Good Men, "I can handle the truth."

(Empahsis added)

You got convictions? Great! Doesn't mean you can't do some spade work and understand an opposing viewpoint. I'm not just thinking about religion here, either.

And this is from the erstwhile Alex P. Keaton!






The "Letters To The Observer" section of the Fayetteville Observer sometimes gets filled up with "talking point" regurgitations to an alarming degree. One letter this week kept using the word "statist" over and over and over. Another missive kept ranting on and on about some unspecified "they" that was responsible for all manner evils, including the Ruby Ridge fiasco. (Code word alert!)

This morning, I was pleased to see the following letter printed:





Our president, duly elected and serving, is not, nor will he ever be the Messiah. I am as far on the right of the political spectrum as a person can be and quite frankly I don't know if I am more disgusted with those on my side or the other.




Right-wing friends, please quit referring in jest to President Obama as the Messiah. You, of all people, ought to know better. This man has never, nor will he ever, heal the sick, rais ethe dead, glorify God or walk on water. You are using the name Messiah in jest, yet you claim the commandment not to use the Lord's name in vain. Quit attributing in jest and mockery the name above all names to this ordinary man.


No, I didn't write this letter, but I am Craig D and I approve this message.

Unfortunately, in the final paragraph, this fellow writes, "Left-wing friends, President Obama is not the Messiah. Please quit acting like he is." It kind of takes the lustre off his first two paragraphs, but I still have to give him a thumbs-up for his rebuke to the buzz-word brigade!





I had a job interview this past Friday.

It went well, I thought. The Director of Operations and I chatted for an hour and he asked me to e-mail some professional references to him.

There won't be any further action on this until after the first of the year, though.

Fine, says I.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

turners clearance initiations something regress died iguana cirex ukpurpose bodil powers
semelokertes marchimundui

December 21, 2009 9:32 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

Wow!

ANOTHER great quote!!!

December 22, 2009 6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home