Monday, September 28, 2009

Two Months On

I couldn't find a suitable graphic for the word "disincentive" so I settled for "disinfectant" instead.

I've been out of work for about two months now.

The pickin's are pretty slim as far as employment opportunities go these days. The previous sentence is an example of what you might call "understatement."

But I just walked away from an employment opportunity.

A job, that at one time, would've been my "dream" job.

Sob.

Here's the 4-1-1...

I've been a "film nut" for over 40 years. I started collecting 8mm home movies in 1966. I really got serious about it back in 1979, when I bought a whole slew of films, projectors and equipment from an "old timer" who was liquidating his collection.

Many a night were spent winding, splicing, cleaning, labelling and projecting films. Assembling cartoon programs and then breaking them down again was pure bliss!

Well, I was offered a job as a projectionist at a new 14 screen cinema that will be opening up next month.

"Wow," I thought. "I'll finally be in the big leagues! I'll be setting up, breaking down and running 35mm on the big screen, Baby!"



Then, cold, hard reality kicked in.

I did some number-crunching.

They were offering 20 to 30 hours a week at an hourly salary that was about 40% of my last salary.

OK, fine. This is my "dream" gig. I gotta follow my "dream," right?

Reality can be very cruel, though.

Even if I worked there 40 hours a week, I'd be taking a 20% cut in pay versus what I'm getting from my Unemployment Insurance. If one figures in the requisite "payroll deductions, the picture becomes even less flattering.

I did some research, and i found that it is possible to have part-time employment and also collect Unemployment Insurance, but that would have limited me to a maximum of 9 hours per week before I started "losing money" on the deal.

I went in to meet with the theater manager to discuss my situation this morning and it was no surprise that my working 9 hours per week would not be suitable for their current needs.

One one hand, I'm disappointed I wasn't able to get my foot in the door via part-time employment.

But on the other hand, I'm trying to maintain a "career arc" and taking a McJob might just derail the whole process.

Oh, well.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Amy said...

Geez, Craig, sorry to hear it. There's something out there somewhere! Would you actually have been doing movies on reels or just DVDs? If it would have been just the latter, I don't think you would have liked it as much.
Good luck and chin up :)

September 28, 2009 11:58 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

It would have involved 35mm film running on 12 separate platter-system projectors with two theaters devoted digital media. Apparently the digital movies are DOWNLOADED so there aren't even DVDs involved! That just HAS to be a w-h-o-l-e lot cheaper than schlepping bulky, heavy film prints around the country.

September 28, 2009 6:25 PM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

That really bites, but it would be crazy to take something that pays less than unemployment. Still...

September 29, 2009 9:35 PM  
Blogger DirkStar said...

Man...

October 08, 2009 1:47 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

DirkStar lives!!!

October 08, 2009 11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home