Tuesday, July 24, 2007

To The Spoiler Belongs The Vic!

UPDATED: Then, On Monday (Part Two)
UPDATED, AGAIN: The Kiss-Off (Part Three)

Well, the lying, cheating scum who took my deposit to
hold the 1998 Crown Victoria went and sold it to someone else.

Let's rant, shall we?

Saturday: I found the ad for the car in the paper and called the first of two listed numbers. A woman with a heavy accent answered the phone.

Woman: Hello?

Me: Yes, hello. I'm calling about the 1998 Crown Victoria you have advertised in the paper.

Woman: Oh, you must call back in forty-five minutes and talk to my daughter.

Me: Oh. OK, thanks.

A half an hour later the phone rang. I guess her daughter did the *69 trick, because I didn't leave my phone number. I told her I was interested in seeing the car and wanted to schedule a time where we could get together. She suggested Sunday morning. I countered with sometime in the afternoon, since we'd be busy with church in the
morning.

"How about you call me at 1:00, after you're home from church?" she suggested. Fine with me!

Sunday: At the appointed hour, I called the daughter-person.

Woman with Accent: No she's not here now. You call back.

On the next call I was able to speak with the daughter. She suggested we meet in the parking lot of a local park at 6:00. "OK, I'll see you after dinner!"

We met at the appointed time in the appointed place. As I was doing my initial once-over the daughter blurts out, "Well, instead of $3,200 (the advertised price) would you want it for $2,800? That's because the driver-side window needs to be fixed!"

"Sounds reasonable," I replied. "Let me take it out for a spin."

I drove to a local supermarket parking lot so I could look it over some more. In the glove box was the title, made out to, I guess her mother. It was listed as "Salvaged- Rebuilt." It was obviously an old police car of some sort. There was also a notarized slip of paper giving the daughter "power of attorney" to sell the car on her mother's behalf.

The odometer readings matched up with the title. Everything seemed OK and it drove smoothly. Sold!

I returned to the park and told the daughter I'd be happy to give her $2,800. for it.

I gave her a $50 check as a deposit to hold the car until I could get the money together.

She agreed to take the deposit but seemed disappointed that I couldn't hand over the full amount on the spot. I explained I have to go to the bank and arrange a loan; that's why I took down the VIN.

"Well, I have one other person I'm showing it to tonight," she said.

"That's fine," I replied. "Just let them know you've already taken a deposit on it and that if, for some reason I can't get the money, he can buy it if he's interested."

I wrote out the check and two receipts with both of our names, phone numbers and signatures on it. I gave her the check and a copy of the receipt.

"Uh, when will you know about the loan?" she asked.

"I'll probably have the money for you by Wednesday. I'll give you a call tomorrow and let you know when I've been approved," I replied.

"OK. Well it was nice meeting you. I'll talk to you tomorrow, then," she said (or words to that effect.)

THEN, ON MONDAY...

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Craig! What lousy luck!

July 24, 2007 8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SORRY TO HEAR THAT WASNT THE CAR YOU WERE MEANT TO HAVE.

July 24, 2007 12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh man...what an ordeal. car buying is always a hassle. just stopping by to say howdy. glad to see you blogging away.

July 24, 2007 4:01 PM  
Blogger CS said...

Okay, I'm a little disoriented by the order of the stories, since in the bog world they are usually reversed. But I'll comment here on the whole thing. That was a truly lousy for the seller to do, but maybe it will be a good thing in the long run. Like the fact that you didn't end up getting the gas hog. Have you noticed gas prices lately? And the girl seemed awfully skatey - bet there's mor wrong with it than she was saying. Hope you find something better soon!

July 24, 2007 7:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would agree with Scott and CS here. I suspect not getting the car was the best thing all around.

July 24, 2007 8:44 PM  
Blogger Gale said...

you need to start singing 'Im to sexy for my car" and start shopping because you have $$ in hand. And a pox on the hussy who jipped you!

July 24, 2007 10:08 PM  
Blogger Dx said...

Buying cars is a nightmare for me. What happened to you almost always happens to me. I can buy a house easier than a car. Stay with it and let's see what you eventually get.

July 25, 2007 4:30 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

cs: I manipulated the postings so that the three-parter about not getting the car would be in order. Yeah, it can be confusing that way.

all: Yeah, my wife and I both feel that this was obviously not "the" car we were fated to own. I'm fine with it. I mean it's not like my life-long dream was to own a salvaged, gas-hog police interceptor vehicle.

As previosuly noted, I wanted to write about other stuff, by my blogger Terms of Service agreement forced to do otherwise.

Maybe now I can get back to blogging about my experiences knitting a trombone in a gay bath house...

July 25, 2007 8:37 AM  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

oh thats rotten! maybe you should also put in an ad warning people about her...

July 25, 2007 1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAN O MAN!! WHAT KIND OF CREDIT CARD DO YOU HAVE THAT WILL CASH ADVANCE AT .99%? YOU SHOULD PUT IT IN A SIX MONTH CD AND KEEP THE DIFFERENCE. FREE MONEY.

July 25, 2007 2:46 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

scott: I wonder if six months' worth of CD interest would cover the $60 transfer fee?

July 26, 2007 7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home