Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Breakfast Special!

As I had mentioned earlier, I was "on vacation" last week, owing to the annual plant shut-down at my workplace.

Now, in years gone by, our clan had made annual Summer pilgrimages back to Buffalo, NY to visit family and friends for the week.

This time around, however, the excessive costs (both financial and otherwise) associated with various medical bills, home improvements, car repairs, etc. left us with little choice but to scale back our plans.

We decided that we would visit a local farm that gives site tours, so that Mariel could see all the animals and tractors up-close and personal. Then, we would check into a Holiday Inn for a night to enjoy the pool and cable TV.

Of course, Mariel got a sinus infection the night before we were going to do all this. Dragging a sick, crabby child trough a cow pasture and then being cooped up in a motel room didn't sound like the kind of relaxation we had in mind, so we put the whole thing on hold for that nebulous, future "next time."

Going out for breakfast at the Shoney's or Cracker Barrel was also part of this aborted master plan.

Last Friday morning I suggested that we should all just get dressed and go out for breakfast anyway.

Michelle countered with a suggestion that I go out for breakfast and bring something home for her and Mariel. Oh, do I love this woman!

Driving to the local Greek restaurant, i.e. "Zorba's", I was filled with a feeling of relaxation and inner-peace that had been oh-so-elusive, lately.

Ahhh...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's nothing like being able to hit the "pause" button of parenthood!

Glad to hear you got some "you" time during your time off!

July 10, 2007 6:26 PM  
Blogger CS said...

I am here to tell you that time by yourself, kidless, is vital to maintaining sanity. Glad you got some, and hope you get your vacation in down the road. (And what a great thnig for your wife to do!)

July 10, 2007 8:21 PM  
Blogger furiousBall said...

It's kind of like a qtip for your sanity at times to have true alone time.

I like the cartoons in the blog lately.

July 11, 2007 10:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your picture is giving me major cravings for eggs, ham & Dr Suess.

July 12, 2007 12:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Aaaah, alone time. Niiiccce.

July 12, 2007 1:04 AM  
Blogger Gale said...

Driving by myself makes me smile because I usually have a passenger who is either bitching at me or to me. Just let me listen to my radio thank you very much....

July 12, 2007 7:36 AM  
Blogger Judy said...

LOL at your comment on my blog this morning. You are a very funny man, Mr. D.

Sorry you had to scale back your vacation plans - twice, actually. I think that frustrated getaways rather define parenthood: has anyone ever gone on a trip with a healthy child??

Being a happy adult depends heavily on taking joy where you can find it; in your case, a breakfast alone at Zorba's. "Let the rich and famous (and nannied) have their luaus on tropical islands! Let others shuffle off to Buffalo! I'm going to Zorba's for eggs!"

Which - oddly - reminds me of a joke my father loved to tell (in a yiddish accent, because whenever he told a joke featuring anyone foreign, the accent was yiddish)about two "dutchmen", Hans and Fritz:

Hans: Fritz, I can tell you what you had for breakfast this morning.

Fritz: You can not. How can you tell me what I had for breakfast? Okay, smart guy, what did I have for breakfast this morning?

Hans: You had eggs. I can see it on your face.

Fritz: Ah ha ha ha! Wrong! YESTERDAY I had eggs for breakfast!

July 12, 2007 8:08 AM  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

dropping by to say howdy...we are on a list of 'buddies' of Allan's..and any friend of Allan's is a-ok..with me...

July 12, 2007 11:14 PM  
Blogger Allan said...

I feel the pain of your scaling back...here's hoping that 'next time' is the charm!

Hi YDG! Too kind!

July 13, 2007 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home