Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Sorry, But I Gotta...

I'm still reading everyone's thoughtful comments concerning what my next post should be about (sample: "Hell, yeah! Tell us about that gay thing!") but as I was reviewing the blogger TOS, it seems we are all contractually obligated to post self-pitying entries whenever any of us experience major car trouble. So...

My 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan is on a death-watch. The transmission has been re-certified as scrap metal by the man at the repair shop and it would cost upwards of $1,700 to replace what needs to be replaced.

That wouldn't be so bad, if we hadn't already pumped a like amount into the same problem since last October! Here are some posts from the archive of my other blog:

  1. The stage is set: Time Enough At Last!
  2. Things start to go wrong: Check Engine Light In Buffalo Blizzard!
  3. Things continue to go wrong: Breakdown in West Virgina Strands Party of Three!
  4. Still Stranded: The Waiting Game!
  5. The Anti-Climactic Home-Coming.
The tab for transmission repairs to-date is either $,1500 or $2,500 - we've kinda lost track. We can't justify throwing more money down that rat-hole.

My Dad gave me this van a couple years back, when Mariel was born. He bought it back in 1997, after my Mom's stroke, so he could tote her around. She died about six years ago, and when he bought his new KIA Sedona, he let me have the Grand Caravan.

I'm kind of sad about getting rid of Mom's last "ride" but, really it is just another chunk of troublesome machinery that now needs to be replaced. My wife and I will be hitting the used car circuit this weekend...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y-EGG-ERMEISTER-
DID YOU EVER GET A BOOK ON IT? MAYBE DROPPING THE OLD TRANS AND GETTING A REBUILT MIGHT NOT BE TOO BAD. IF NOT, WHEN YOU PUT IT UP ON BLOCKS IN THE FRONT YARD, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT SO THE SLIDING SIDE DOOR FACES THE STREET. PRESTO..READY MADE MANGER SCENE FOR XMAS. YOU CAN PLUG THE XMAS LIGHTS INTO THE CIGARETTE LIGHTER THINGY

SCOTT

July 19, 2007 1:24 PM  
Blogger Allan said...

Rickshaws are lookin' better all the time. Good luck searching.

July 19, 2007 2:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe you could rip out the seats, install a port-a-potty and rent it out to cover your costs on a new ride

July 19, 2007 4:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the rickshaw idea myself. Much less stressful than a vehicle. But I don't know if the 2008 models have DVD players. You might want to check on that ... good for long drives with a little one.

July 20, 2007 1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home