Thursday, November 15, 2007

BAM!!!

As youngsters will, Mariel banged her head last week.

It was far for ER-worthy, but she did scream, cry and resist all attempt at being comforted. When she calmed down sufficiently I told her the following story.

One time, when Daddy was just your age, he and his Mommy went across the street to visit Mrs. Morton and her kids. While Mommy and Mrs. Morton had coffee, Li'l Craig scampered down to the basement to play the the Morton children.

One thing led to another and it was decided to have a race, clear across the basement, to see who was the fastest runner.

"On your mark. Get set. GO!"

I put my head down, like an Olympic sprinter, and took off at top speed across the room.

BAM!!!

I saw stars.

My head felt as if it was going to split in two.

I was screaming louder than an air raid siren.

I had run, head first, right into the cinder block basement wall!

Both Mothers came running down the stairs to see what had happened.

Finding me sitting on the floor, screaming, my Mom tried to comfort me.

"Craig!" she said. "Craig! What happened?"

"Whaaaah!" I wailed while windmilling my arms at her.

"Why are you hitting me?" she asked. "I didn't do anything to you!"

"Whaaaah!" I replied.

I eventually sprouted a big, cartoon-like lump on my head.

Mariel found this anecdote to be so funny that she stopped crying and started giggling.

In fact it has entered her repertoire of stories.

"Bam!" she'll howl between giggles. "Craig, Craig, what's wrong?"

Ah, Daddy's little girl...

10 Comments:

Blogger RED MOJO said...

Well that story explains a lot! :)

November 15, 2007 8:54 AM  
Blogger furiousBall said...

I am totally against running into brick walls, I just wanted to go on the record.

November 15, 2007 9:48 AM  
Blogger DirkStar said...

Wow...

I'm not nearly as good a parent as you.

November 15, 2007 8:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Heck, I did that in college ... ran sheer across the lounge and smacked my head against the wall.

November 16, 2007 12:14 AM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

Sweet! Kids love hearing stories about their parents' childhoods, don't they? Especially funny ones involving windmilling arms.

The son hit his head in the pool about 3 years ago. He still has a small little lump ... smack in the center of his forehead. I told him not to worry; the ladies love guys with lumpy heads.

November 16, 2007 3:29 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

cowbell: Here's a hint for your son. When jumping into a pool, always check first to see if there is any H2O present.

dorky dad: Maybe I should do a whole series of head-trauma posts? Did you know a frozen apple can have the same impact as a billiard ball when thrown at someone's head? I can thank my brother for teaching me that interesting fact.

dirk: You're a fantastic father! I figure you've been parenting rather than blogging all last month, right? Good to see ya.

furiousball: So noted.

red mojo: Indeed it does!

November 16, 2007 5:21 AM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

LOL! Mariel is just too cute. :-)

Did the lump go away?

November 16, 2007 3:44 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

The lump disappeared from the top of my head pretty quickly. The hair disappeared from the top of my head about thirty years later...

November 16, 2007 7:05 PM  
Blogger Charlotta-love said...

...so if you didn't bump your head you would still have hair?

November 17, 2007 12:15 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

charlotta: How zen!

November 17, 2007 7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home