Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Calibrating The Pragmatometer

As I think I mentioned at least once before, in an ideal world a Quality Assurance person would be 100% dogmatic. In fact, this goofy belief cost me 'way too much capital at my first major Quality gig.

I've had to learn to be "pragmatic" about how a company really wants their Quality System run.

On "Day Two" of my new job, I became aware that I would have to recalibrate my expectations about how things are handled at the dishwasher rack factory. I had, like, three documents that were referenced in doing an incoming inspection on some components and none of them agreed with each other.

After talking to several people, including the fellow who had retired from the job, I've come to the pragmatic conclusion that this is how they want it and I should just do what had been done previously.

Fine.

After spending the morning coming to that conclusion, I returned from lunch and "got on with it."

It's hard to believe that it was only a week ago that I was planning my "last day at the printing plant" festivities with the biscuits and everything. It truly seems like a lifetime ago and, I guess it really was.

My first paycheck from the new gig should be in my hot little hands a week from tomorrow. Talk about a "Happy Thanksgiving!"

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

EGG-
CONGRATS ON FINALLY CAVING. JUST KIDDING. PRAGMATISM IS THE WAY TO GO. COULDNT BE PROUDER OF BIG BRO. GO 'RACK' UP THEM FATASS PAYCHEX

November 13, 2007 8:39 PM  
Blogger furiousBall said...

yep, I work for a big company too, we loves us some red tape. love it.

November 13, 2007 9:09 PM  
Blogger RED MOJO said...

You did the right thing, talking to the dude that done it last. Recieving conflicting information, and acting on your own, can leave you holding...holding the wet paper bag under the bus with your pants around your ankles? (I couldn't finish it, I'm losing my mind)

November 13, 2007 11:01 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

That's one of the most difficult things to do.... start a new job and absorb their culture. Most people start a new job and bring their old job's culture with them, trying to force it at the new place. Makes 'em real popular, it does.

November 14, 2007 9:50 AM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

Craig, nothing to do with pragmatism, but I have to say, you are indeed the Biscuit Beelzubub. I can not remember the last time I had a biscuit before reading your biscuit post. Since then, I have actually eaten a Jack In the Box egg & cheese biscuit, and last night, I made some for me and the son for "dinner". (Pillsbury, not homemade. Please.) My hips are glaring at me as we speak. Well, they're actually glaring at my chair cushion, technically, but you get the idea.

November 14, 2007 4:05 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

It sounds like you are becoming a well oiled cog in their machine.

Enjoy that paycheck!

November 14, 2007 10:12 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

whim: "Well oiled" is right! all the wires are covered with a thin coating of oil to keep them from rusting. This means that my hands are also covered in a thin coating of oil from handling said wires!

Cowbell: Sounds like there's even more more cowbell. That is to say, "You're welcome!"

lee: I'm like the Jane Goodall of manufacturing!

red mojo: You have indeed "lost it!" Have you tried looking behind the refrigerator?

furiousball: My whole career has been red tape, quality specs and corrective actions.

scott: It's what I do! Dat's how Eggy rolls. EGG! ROLL! EGG ROLL! I MADE A FUNNY!

November 15, 2007 5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home