Thursday, November 01, 2007

Transition Time Ahead!

Yep.

Gonna start the new job on Monday, 11/12/07.

I hope the illustration, at left, is not prophetic.

Naturally, my noggin is spinning with all kinds of random, yet related, thoughts.
This is the first time since 1981 where I have left a job "on my own terms!"

Back then, I had been working at the Carborundum company as a Quality Control Technician and I tendered my resignation to go to Toronto to work as the "Production Supervisor" on an animated feature film. Sounds impressive, but a few months later the crew had imploded and I was back home, licking my wounds.

As a result of being "at large" I applied to an electronics company to be their QC Technician, and that gig lasted nearly 16 years!

Nice save, eh?

The new job offers much more affordable Medical Insurance than the current one. Mariel will come off Children's Medicaid and go on Daddy's policy.

The rub is that the Health Insurance won't be available to me until after I've been on the payroll for 90 days. Hmm... seems to me that the magic number for disallowing benefits under most plans is a 62 day lapse in coverage.

This means I'll need to lose the rest of my meagre savings by paying the full-price of my current plan for the next three months.

See how that works?

COBRA is a cruel, cruel joke.
Friday, as "Father-Daughter Day," will become a thing of the past.

Michelle is making arrangements to drop her 8AM - 8PM shift at the urgent care every Friday, because I'll now be working a standard five day work week.

She'll no doubt maintain her every-other-weekend Saturday/Sunday schedule, so Father-Daughter Day will continue. Just not on Fridays.
Things about my current job I will miss:

  • The people on the shop floor were very friendly and cooperative. They were easily the nicest bunch I've ever encountered.
  • The short, seven mile commute. The new plant is 45 miles away!
  • The shop was kept very clean and is climate controlled.

I'll hold off on a list of what I won't miss, because I don't have the energy for it, right now.

10 Comments:

Blogger furiousBall said...

once again, congrats on the new job. here's some advice...

the trick is: kick someone's ass the first day, or become someone's bitch. Then everything will be all right.

November 01, 2007 11:17 AM  
Blogger Marc Deckter said...

Congrats on the new job!

November 01, 2007 1:47 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

well if its any help, I have never yet left a job 'of my own free will'

I'm most happy about your healthcare plan. If one thing sucks about the US, it's healthcare. But I'm not gonna go all political ;-)

November 01, 2007 3:25 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Happy to hear that "Father-Daughter" days will continue!

November 01, 2007 5:27 PM  
Blogger RED MOJO said...

I love the cartoon. I guess the thought is "side sight is 20/20" I mean wouldn't it be great if we could see ourselves like that? Instead of the view we do have, just what's right in front of us, or behind, but that guy is focused on the job at hand, he won't know until later that he zigged when he should've zagged. I feel that way a lot.
I do hope things pan out for you with this job.

November 01, 2007 7:39 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

10 days till a better life!

Then 90 till insurance coverage. :-(

November 01, 2007 10:48 PM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

Congrats! US health care is a bitch. I hate it. I will probably never leave my job for that very reason. -sigh- Beautiful kid-pic! She's got a sunshiney smile.

November 02, 2007 6:40 PM  
Blogger Gale said...

Hooray, no more macaroni and beans!!!
Congratulatins and yes COBRA sucks!!!

November 02, 2007 10:16 PM  
Blogger JM Dobies said...

My new employer just discontinued its longtime practice of starting health coverage after 30 days. Now it's 90 days.

The evil insurance company convinced them that "nobody does that." So now neither do they.

We're currently in kiddie insurance limbo, with our FL plan having expired on Thursday. Have to wait 'til February for real insurance. Hope the boy doesn't break anything else before then...

November 04, 2007 9:28 AM  
Blogger CS said...

And that's one of the reasons why we so desperately need nationalhealth care. I've got the self-employed variety, which is next to useless.

November 05, 2007 6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home