Friday, November 02, 2007

What Went Right?!?!?

So how did this new job come to pass?

Some time ago, there was an ad in the local newspaper looking for a "Quality Engineer" at a manufacturing plant in Clinton, NC. I had applied to this company at least two other times in the past, but they were for positions that didn't quite fit my experience and skill set.

Well, I once again sent in my resume and promptly forgot about it.

The plant's VP of Quality called the house and wanted to talk to me about the position. We arranged to chat on one of my "Father-Daughter Fridays."

The phone interview went well and we arranged for an "in-person" session at the plant.

I met with the VP of Q and we talked about the plant's quality system, my history in QA / QC and various other related topics. We must have jawed for at least an hour. We went down the hall to the Plant Manager's office and I chatted with him for about fifteen minutes. He even gave me a better route back to Fayetteville!

A few days later, the VP of Q called to arrange another interview with the VP of Operations who was to be in town from their corporate HQ in Cleveland, Ohio.

I came in and talked with the big VEEP for another hour or so and then drove home.

Then, the HR Director form Cleveland arranged for another phone interview on yet another "Father-Daughter Friday." There was yet more talk followed up by a request for contact information for my previous supervisors. I gave him the info and rang off.

There was a slight glitch with this last part, as my most recent supervisor had moved since the Spring of 2005. My wife fielded the call from the HR Director and got him the new phone number. Whew.

The VP of Q called last Friday and offered me the job, whereupon I went into shock.

"Could this really be happening?"

They couldn't formally hire me until I passed a company physical and drug test, so once again I drove out to Clinton, NC to fill out forms and make with the specimen.

On Tuesday, the results were back and they were favorable. The VP of Q called me at work and finalized the deal.

So, what went right this time?

I don't know.

But missing from the above were idiotic things like personality testing, four-hour 360 degree multi-departmental review sessions and employment service pimps.

The fact that I was able to do my initial interview with the actual Quality Department Guy and not some intermediary may have helped.

Perhaps I was so worn down by the myriad of bogus interviews over the last few years that I was finally able to give a series of employer-pleasin' interviews.

Maybe it was sheer pity on the company's part.

Who knows?

Who cares?

I'm still asking myself, "Can this really be happening?"

With any luck,the shock will wear off and I can get back to posting what Dorky Dad has called "Classic Craig" stuff soon.

8 Comments:

Blogger furiousBall said...

I think from what little I know about you, that your way is one of quality. From the Diver Dan DVD you sent me, the cover was immaculate, shipping package had cool comic book stamps on it. My name and address were all where it was expected. It was mailed using the US Mail, not the Hungarian Postal Service(very key to quick deliver times). I mean seriously you just exude quality, it's coming out of your pores and I have an ointment that will clear that right up.

November 03, 2007 10:52 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Here's to lots more of whatever went right!

November 03, 2007 1:29 PM  
Blogger Gale said...

Hooray, I am clapping in glee. So I am assuming that you are going to cut WAY back on bloggin? Don't you get caught on the internet at work.
I am so happy for you!!!!

November 04, 2007 6:36 AM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

*pinches Craig so he knows that it's real*

I think you were due for a change and like you said, this time the interview process went right.

November 04, 2007 2:01 PM  
Blogger CS said...

It's real - enjoy. And soon you'll join the rest of us in complianing about work, like you're supposed to.

November 05, 2007 6:03 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

cs: Oh, I expect to be complaining about the new job soon enough.

whim: Ouch! Not so h-a-a-a-r-d!

gale: We'll see what impact this life change will have on my blogging.

lee: Whatever it was, I wish I could buy a great big bag of it!

furiousball: Once again, my awesome ability to mail stuff has scored me major points. Heh heh. Ointment. Heh heh.

November 05, 2007 9:51 AM  
Blogger Allan said...

"Who knows? Who cares?"

I care! And I wanna know what kinda mojo you used...it's a source of hope!

November 05, 2007 11:12 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

I stand corrected; allan cares!

Apparently the secret is sending out free Diver Dan DVDs...

November 06, 2007 7:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home