Monday, November 12, 2007

Work and Play

Well, today was my first day as "Quality Engineer" at the dishwasher rack factory.

I spent the first half of the day poring through their Quality Manual. The second half of the day was spent reviewing the gauge calibration records and daily quality reports.

Good News: The gauge calibrations appear up-to-date and none are due until sometime in 2008.

Bad News: The daily quality reports have been piling up for two weeks and many of them are not filled out completely. Little things like the operators' names and the date the records were compiled were missing. Don't know how I'm going to catch up, especially since so much vital info is missing. Huh.

I met some of my fellow QC team-mates. I made some really mild comment which earned the remark, "Oh, good. he has a sense of humor; he'll fit in here!" Whew.

I'm looking forward to finding out more about the processes and what they expect me to do. In the mean time it'll be orientation, orientation, orientation.
In other news...

Mariel, along with Mommy, went to a birthday party at a local roller rink today. They both had a blast! She had fun on the skates, played some games and enjoyed palling around with her friend, Trinity.

This is good news as the three of us tried to go out to dinner with the folks from Michelle's office Saturday night and we didn't even get to order before it became obvious Mariel was not going to settle down.

She became obsessed with some sort of computer monitor at the bar that was flashing trivia game questions. When I pried her away from that she glommed on to this giant gumball machine they had by the front door. When it became apparent that she was going to throw a fit if forced to go back to the table, we booked.

We went home for an extra-long "time out" after which we feasted on cold cereal and bad vibes.

I'm so happy Mommy and Daughter had a good time at the roller rink!

It will be interesting to see how my new job schedule affects the frequency and quality of these here posts. My apologies for the inevitable reduction in both. With any luck it will be a short-term situation.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Ergh. Good news on that 2008 expiry and good luck on playing catch-up.

I would never have thought to have a child's party at a roller rink. Curious. Glad to hear they had fun!

What is it with children's fascination with technology (especially coin-operated technology?) Bummer about the time-out.

Looking forward to what ever posts you're able to send our way.

November 13, 2007 8:48 AM  
Blogger furiousBall said...

I've been to many a party at a roller rink with my kiddos. My son got brave after the second party and put some skates on. He impressed me with what he said on the way home, "I fell a lot, but that's part of the fun."

November 13, 2007 9:34 AM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

I'm glad your new job seems to be working out so far.

November 13, 2007 2:01 PM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

cold cereal and bad vibes? Ugh. Similar to life with teenagers. Glad the roller rink was fun.

November 14, 2007 4:08 PM  
Blogger CS said...

We've done the skating rink party thing - it's fun. I bet some of Mariel's difficult behavior is just a reaction to change.

November 23, 2007 12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home