Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Who Am I?

During a recent telephone conversation, my brother, Scott, asked something along the lines of, "Why don't you post about the time you..." and then proceeded to remind me of an incident where my other-worldly psychoses came into play.

"But, Scott," I replied. "I'm trying to come off as a fairly 'normal' guy who sits back and chuckles with wry amusement at the wacky foibles we all come across in life."

"Normal" guy...

Growing up, for some reason, a lot of adults seemed to think I was "that nice boy" their kids would play with. Teachers would "ooh" and "aah" over my art projects and such.

Something that I've noticed is that I have received some very positive comments from my fellow blog-crawlers describing me as "sweet", "kind", "smart", and the like. These sort of comments, of course, are always appreciated, and I thank you.

But you know, this sort of thing, if left unchecked, can really create problems.

You can begin to believe your own press.

Hubris happens.

A person's thought process can become so self-justifying that no rationale for poor behavior is too ludicrous.

"It's OK for me to make fun of your speech impediment because I got an A+ on my spelling test and I'm so special!" for instance. (A little girl next door to us had a very bad Elmer Fudd problem and it would drive me nuts. Irrationally, I thought she was calling me "KWAIG" to be nasty. What a mean-spirited dope Master Craig was.)

On the Internet, it is really easy to go overboard. If someone posts something on a blog or message board that rubs you the wrong way, you can end up with a five-alarm flame war on your hands if you respond prior to counting to ten. It's happened to me and I've seen it happen to others.

So who am I?

I have to wonder.

I've said and done some truly reprehensible things in my life, this I know. I am really that "nice guy" that some people think I am or am I that smart-mouth bastard that other folks have experienced.

I guess I'm both.

How about you?

Note: The illustration is swiped from ladybluestocking.com.

7 Comments:

Blogger Judy said...

Whew! I guess that means you are human...

August 22, 2007 12:03 PM  
Blogger weatherchazer said...

It's a mobius strip concept. No matter which way you guy, you never come to the end. When you figure out what I'm saying, please let me know for my own good. :)

August 22, 2007 2:56 PM  
Blogger weatherchazer said...

Ah, F-ville, eh? As for me, welcome to the OBX!

August 22, 2007 3:18 PM  
Blogger CS said...

Not me, I'm totally good and pure, every minute of every day. Ha ha ha ha ha!

By the way, I started my site meter mid-January, and you were the 10,000th visitor!

August 22, 2007 3:58 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

I think any honest person would have to admit that they are both.

August 23, 2007 1:08 AM  
Blogger Allan said...

People are rotten to the core. They are also inherently good.This contradiction drives us mad.
One person's duality is another person's bipolar disorder...

As an aside, I exercise caution around people who are unable to find fault with themselves. Being human is OK, y'know?

August 23, 2007 5:12 PM  
Blogger Gale said...

So did you spend alot of time pulling wings off of flys or peep through your neighbors window? Sounds like blog fodder to me. Besides in my book if you were 'nice, sweet, or whatever' I really think I would find you boring. So be yourself!!

August 24, 2007 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home