Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Professionalism - Part 3

Well, aside from undertaking this whole "validation" project, the company was also in the final stages of getting their ISO9000 certification.

The person who was responsible for pulling it all together handed in her notice so that her last day on the payroll would also be the last day of the ISO audit. My hat is off to her! She must have battled overwhelming odds to get all the procedures, forms, training, paperwork, et cetera done. I can only imagine this figured in her decision to bail.

The VP and Plant Manager pulled me aside and offered me the "Quality Systems Manager" position, owing to my twenty year history in QA/QC supervision and management. I went for it.

Also around this time, the "Office Manager" ran afoul of the owners over getting some time off approved. One thing, apparently, led to another and on a Thursday morning, the VEEP announced that so-and-so is no longer with the company.

This figures in to my story in that so-and-so had previously been the person who worked up the price quotes for possible new products as well as doing the sales analysis of material that had been run.

Guess who inherited these tasks?

Let's review:
  • Quality Systems Manager.
  • Validation Project Engineer.
  • Sales Quote Writer.
  • Sales Analyst.
But at least I'm on the payroll, right?

Now, the thing about the whole field of Quality Control and Quality Assurance is, that while everyone else in the company can be pragmatic about how things are done, the Quality guy has to be dogmatic about it. If the process has been documented that it has to be done a certain way, well then, it has to be done that way. People taking shortcuts or just plain ignoring the documented procedures generally end up compromising the process and leaving a mess of Corrective Action responses in his (or her) wake...

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Oh dear. QA and QC are a jobs with a whole lot of work and so very little glory.

Am I hearing the sounding of impending doom coming down the corridor?

August 15, 2007 4:35 PM  
Blogger DirkStar said...

Hey, have you seen the new frank Zappa C.D. that is coming out?

I pre-ordered it so I get the special bonus goodies too!

It looks pretty darn good and is some stuff from the archives most people don't know.

August 15, 2007 8:21 PM  
Blogger Gale said...

So besides the title and possibly the tiara and orb. what are the benefits? Do you get to systematically electrocute Anne????

August 15, 2007 10:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I agree with Gale. Systematically executing Anne would be a great fringe benefit to this job.

But wow. You went from temp to, like, BIG CHEESE in short order there.

August 16, 2007 12:29 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

gale/d-dad: Naw, I don't want to see the Princess executed. Just a little more common courtesy and a little less game-playing. As far as being a "Big Cheese" I am not. I am a flunky with a title who is bringing home a paycheck that would make a pizza deliveryman laugh.

dirk: WOW! New Zappa from the archives? Haven't heard a thing about it. Guess I'll have to search it out.

lee: Yeah, there is no glory in being a QA/QC person. If something's screwed up, "Why didn't QC catch this!" If you DO catch something, well, "Are we being too hard on ourselves? The customer really needs this product and we don't have time to fix it and re-do it! QC is ruining our shipment schedule!"

I hope I can wrap up this whine session in another post or two. It's that slippery slope. I knew I shouldn't have started writing posts about my DILBERT-like existance. No good can come of this...

August 16, 2007 7:25 AM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Craig, I'm not sure whether to congratulate you or not. I'm glad she is gone and happy for your promotion(?) but sorry you have to clean up her mess.

August 16, 2007 2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home