Thursday, March 29, 2007

DD Mamma Meme?!?!?

Dorky Dad was tagged with a meme by Mamma who in turned tagged me (me). Furthermore, maw-maw moo-moo may-may mi-mi mo-mo banana-fanna-fo-fo me-mi-mo-mo.

Ah, now that I have all that gibberish out of my system, here's the meme-du-jour:
Guidelines: List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what they are. They must be songs you are presently enjoying. Then tag seven other people to see what they’re listening to.
Spoil-sport that I am, I will not inflict this challenge on anyone else, because this is where memes go to die. Now, I realise that I will be forever erasing any slender chance I may have had of earning the coveted "Wizard's Hat" award by responding to this, but here are the current tunes.

Check Mr. Popeye by Eddie Bo. Along with the twist, the fly, the swim, the stroll and any other number of early 'sixties dances there was one called "The Popeye!" As far as I can tell it was a mutated version of the sailor's hornpipe jig. Well, here's a song that is mostly about Popeye, Bluto and Olive Oyl but manages to cram a musical quote of the "actual" Popeye dance tune into its final seconds.

Now Let's Popeye by Leroy Jones & His Band. Is this the best of all possible worlds or what? Here's a budget-label version (Giant Records a subsidiary of my beloved Hit Records) of the aforementioned Popeye dance.

Check Mr. Popeye by Leroy Jones & His Band. Schweet! A budget label cover version of our first tune! (Kiss that "Wizard's Hat" good-bye for ever and ever, world without end!!!!)

I'm Popeye The Sailor Man by Billy Costello. Billy Costello was the first "voice" of Popeye when the character made the transition from the funny pages to the movie screen back in 1933! Billy was actually imitating a trick voice used by a member of the Paul Whiteman orchestra, as far as I've been able to determine. Jack Mercer took over the voice in 1936 and was (for the most part) "the" official voice for the character for the rest of his life! (Jack died in 1984.)

I'm Popeye The Sailor Man by Jack Mercer. And here is the aforementioned Jack Mercer in a soundtrack lifted from the film "Popeye The Sailor Meets Sindbad The Sailor."

The Popeye Waddle by Don Covay. I was familiar with Mr. Covay's recording of "The Waddle" from an LP I've had for years called, "The History of Syracuse Music Volume One." Here Don sprinkled some Popeye-Dust on his Waddle and this was the result.

Pop-Pop-Pop Pie by The Sherrys. For those of us who "dig" the "happening sound" of early-sixties girl groups.


WHEW! You see, timing is everything. Dorky Dad tagged me just after I had listened to a CD-R I burned of all these POPEYE-related tracks from Phil X. Milstein's web site.

I mean, it's not like I sit around listening to cartoon music all the time or anything.

Well, some of the time, just not all of the time.

15 Comments:

Blogger Amie Adams said...

Very nice!!!

March 29, 2007 12:39 PM  
Blogger Balou said...

It's a Popeye extravaganza! Fun!

March 29, 2007 7:52 PM  
Blogger CS said...

Um, Craig? That's a little frigntening to me.

March 29, 2007 7:59 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

LOL! Why am I not surprised.

1. Season Cycle by XTC
2. If 6 Was 9 by Jimi Hendrix
3. Love For Sale by Talking Heads
4. Jesus Walks (remix) by Kanye West
5. Can't Stop by Red Hot Chili Peppers
6. Headlights On The Parade by The Blue Nile
7. God Bless The Child by Billie Holiday

March 29, 2007 11:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

YOU WIN! I love that list. And I like the list by whimsicalnbrainpan, too. But your list confirms why I tagged you with this meme in the first place. Nicely done. Take a bow, Craig.

March 30, 2007 12:16 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

mamma: Parental approval is always appreciated. Just don't tell my friends, ok? They think I'm cool!

balou: Glad you had fun. Thanks for stopping by! I've visit your blog soon.

csl: So I'm suddenly Hannibal Lechtor for downloading a few measly songs off the internet? Oh, well. If you're ever in town, come on by for dinner.

whim: Gosh, I didn't even have to tag you or nothin'! I loves me some XTC! I saw 'em open for the Police at the University of Buffalo back in, gosh, '78 or so.

dorky dad: Well, thanks for the props! I almost makes up for alienating csl and forever ruining my chances for a "Wizard's Hat" award.

EVERYBODY: Download these songs and listen to them on your POP-iPODs!

March 30, 2007 8:14 AM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

*is consumed with jealousy*

I love The Police and I'm jealous that you saw them but the fact that you actually saw XTC in concert... Do you know how rare that is?

They are one of my top five favorite all time bands and of course the don't tour/perform much due to Andy Partridge's stage fright. Figures!

March 30, 2007 3:56 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

whim: Yes, I know (in retrospect) how rare that was. I saw XTC with a drummer and everything! They played a kick-ass set. In fact, I walked out on the POLICE, because it was XTC I was really interested in seeing. Swindon's finest were indeed making plans for Nigel that night!

March 30, 2007 4:39 PM  
Blogger CS said...

No, download away! It was the all-popeye thing that threw me.

April 01, 2007 8:28 AM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Craig I'd love to hear about the concert sometime.

April 01, 2007 3:40 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

csl: Oh, if you only knew the depth of my Popeye obsession!

whim: I'm sorry to say that, unlike my PhD Dissertation on meeting Frank Zappa, what I've mentioned here is pretty much all I can find to say about that XTC show. They did project an abstract/squiggly film on the band during one tune. Despite my detail-deprived memory I will say it was one of the BEST-ever live sets I ever experienced. Now, if only the DUKES OF THE STRATOSPHERE would tour..!

April 01, 2007 8:31 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Too long unsung and unheralded, you, Craig D (sometimes even doing business as "The Nameless One"), deserve an award of some kind.

Therefore, it is with great pleasure that I bestow upon you The Hearty Horse-laugh (which, if you think about it, is the better end of the animal to be awarded).

You always put a smile on our faces!

April 02, 2007 10:14 AM  
Blogger DirkStar said...

Yeah, its all fun and games untill someone gets a popeye put out...

April 02, 2007 10:45 AM  
Blogger CS said...

csl - I suppose if it encourages you to eat spinach, its all to the good.

April 03, 2007 6:22 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

csl: As a pre-schooler, I was tricked into eating brussel sprouts by being told they were "spinach balls!" (I now know better!)

MMMMM... Yummy - just like spinach!

April 04, 2007 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home