Saturday, February 14, 2009

Atones '79

Thanks to facebook, I was alerted to the fact that I had been "tagged" in a photo.

Sure enough, Marc Weinstein had posted some pix of THE ATONES, a band I was in with him back in 1979!

The top photo is a crude cut-n-paste of two photos taken of us during a gig at Hallwalls in Buffalo, NY. Left to right:

Rachel Weinstein - Organ
Tony Billoni - Sax & Vocals
Kenny Kearny - Guitar
Craig Davison - Bass
Marc Weintsein - Drums



For me, the big thing about The Atones was that, after years of playing cover tunes in a various garage bands, I was in a band of that wrote all their own songs!

Amazingly, Tony had never evidenced any particular musical talents but became the lead vocalist, lyricist and saxophone player. I don't know how, when, where or why he got a sax, but there you are.

Our song-list included titles like, Tree Surgeon, Spheres of Influence, Four Wheeler, Music + Dance = Party and I Like To Talk. Once, we did a free-form jam where everyone, except the drummer, played bass guitars.

Wow, were were arty, or what?!?

We only played a few gigs and the band fell apart when Marc went off to school in the fall.

After that I returned to the land of garage bands. My next band (Mystic Eyes) played both covers and originals so you can see how "The Atones Experience" was an important stepping stone.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

one day you're the boss, the next you're joe

February 15, 2009 12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the photo in front of the water tower, or whatever that thing is.

February 15, 2009 1:29 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

I agree with Citizen, the water tower photo is very cool.

February 16, 2009 3:04 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

That is seriously seriously cool

March 02, 2009 4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Craig! I didn't realize that Rachel Weinstein was in the Atones. I agree...cool picture!

March 07, 2009 10:13 PM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

Hey that's pretty cool, Craig! So basically, you rock?

March 14, 2009 7:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Mrs. So&So,
We heard you had a prob-lem,
"Oh yes. It's my Dutch Elm.
Can-you-fixit"
Sorry Ma'am, No guarantee!
We are the Tree Surgeons.

Dada da dada!

Hi Craig-
Ken Kearney here-
Found this by accident.
Any recordings?

October 14, 2009 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home