Monday, December 29, 2008

Year-End Wind-Fall

So there I am, eating my lunch at work yesterday, when my boss grabs a sandwich out of the 'fridge and says, "Mind if I join you?"

We were chatting about this, that and the other when the topic of vacations came up.

In the context of trip-planning, I mentioned that I wouldn't be taking any in the near future because "I only have three days of vacation time left until next July."

"Oh, no," he said between bites of his turkey sandwich. "That's not how it works for salaried employees. That's for hourly."

"Huh?" I wittily responded.

"No, you have to use up your vacation by the end of the year or you lose it. Heh, heh. 'Use it or lose it,' as the old saying goes," he chuckled.

"B-but, as of right now there aren't three whole days left in the year!" I stammered.

"Tell me about it!" he replied. "I'm going to lose two and a half days, myself."

"Hmmm," I mused. "This requires further thought."

In a moment the thrilling conclusion to our story.

Ladies, are you bothered by little green men? You know the kind. They live in your walls and constantly whisper in your ear to do all sorts of unspeakable acts. Acts that, if you were caught, would result in a long, long jail sentence? Well, now there's good news. You won't get caught. Give in. Give in to the invisible green men's counsel and you'll really start living! Do it. Do it, today. (This has been a public service message from the Little Green Men Advisory Board.)

Oh, we're back!

Well, here's how it's going to go down, folks:

  • Effective, immediately, I am on a two-day vacation!
  • As of January 1st I will have two more weeks of vacation to schedule.

Schweet, or what?

Happy New Year, gang!

9 Comments:

Blogger furiousBall said...

i've got it. take one day off, invent a time machine during that day. and viola, unlimited vacation time from now on

December 30, 2008 10:25 AM  
Blogger Allan said...

That was the thing to do! Happy New Year!

Little green men? That would explain a lot.

December 30, 2008 7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great. We can go to house of guitars

December 30, 2008 8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

scott says- what are you talking about "little green men"?

December 31, 2008 9:40 PM  
Blogger bardhol said...

May your new year be filled with unspeakable acts!

January 01, 2009 1:55 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Ooohhhh... two weeks of vacation!

January 01, 2009 9:26 AM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Hope you enjoyed your day off.

Happy New Year!

January 01, 2009 4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice! Good thing you had the coversation before the year's end! Happy New Year!

January 01, 2009 9:35 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

that's a great surprise to get man.


all the best for the new year!

January 03, 2009 12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home