Friday, December 14, 2007

Fa-La-La-La-Lame

Christmas is nigh, which means the old Christmas songs are playing, pretty much 24/7. (At my house they play 24/365 because Michelle is such a Christmas Song Junky!)

This series will highlight my least favorite seasonal tunes...

THE LITTLE DRUMMER BOY.

Oh, where to begin with this one?

Obviously the grave droning of "rruumm, pum, pum,pum" immediately identifies this tune as worthy of the severest derision. Oh, how serious the "rruumm-pummers" are. This is obviously very important information, people!

But the "rruumm-pum" thing is just part of it.

The story of this song is that a "little drummer boy" stops by the manger right after Christ is born, and lacking any present, he plays his drum.

What the..?

Number one: In which of the gospels is this recorded? None of them! This is right up there with those depictions of Santa praying at the manger. ARRRGH! Why not have Frosty and Rudolph pay their respects as well?

Number two: Some neighborhood kid banging a drum next to a newborn? I don't think anyone would be "smil[ing] at him" as the song suggests.

Conclusion: This song blows. What sort of mass hypnosis is at play that makes this so dear to so many peoples' hearts? I can't figure it out...

8 Comments:

Blogger furiousBall said...

you know my parents had a Johnny Mathis christmas album and he just ruined this song for me. it should only be sung by Bing Crosby (and accompanied by David Bowie sometimes too)

December 14, 2007 11:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll tell you why people love this song imo. Drummers Rock Man!

'Nuff said

December 14, 2007 8:09 PM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

Oh I'm sure it has something to do with the Christmas Special involving those adorable marionette/claymation things, whatever the heck they are. Once a puppet Christmas special gets made, that's it. It's in there. Which is why I think the puppet Rudolph and Frosty could totally end up at the manger with the Little Drummer Boy, along with Nestor the Christmas Donkey. It's all about the puppets.

December 14, 2007 11:58 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

I despise that tune.

"Fairy Tale of New York" every time for me. You can't beat an abusive drunken immigrant couple arguing to get you in the festive spirit.

December 15, 2007 3:22 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

xbox: Wow- I'm drawing a blank on that one!

Cowbell: It wuz always 'bout that puppetz!

jeff: You may have a point, there. (But the song still blows!)

furiousball: What is this "Bling Cosby" thing?

December 16, 2007 8:01 AM  
Blogger Martin said...

lol - ok I guess if you're not familar with 'fairytale of new york' then that comment will seem somewhat odd.

But trust me ;-)

December 17, 2007 10:18 AM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

I've always hate the song too. It is stupid and annoying.

December 18, 2007 3:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You think the song is bad you should see the Christmas special they made out of it. Horrible.

That said, I like this song.

December 19, 2007 12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home