Wednesday, June 09, 2021

L-a-a-a-m-e

Back in the sixties, there was a band from The Netherlands called Q65.  They were big there, I understand.  They had hair longer than The Beatles and were pretty grungy.

One of the tracks they recorded, in somewhat fractured English, was "From Above:"


Got that?  OK.

So, back in the eighties, I was in a garage-revival band called "Mystic Eyes." (I think I've mentioned that elsewhere.)

Initially, the band was the classic line-up of two guitars, bass and drums. All the other cool revival bands also had someone playing an old Vox or Farfisa combo organ.  In an attempt to play catch-up, I scoured the local want ads so as to buy a vintage keyboard. (I took a year of piano lessons back when I was in second grade, so...)

I ended up plopping down $125 for an old Ace Tone Top-9 combo organ. 


 Somehow, we got the idea that our cover of "From Above" should have, instead of that savage feed-back guitar break, an organ solo. My turn to shine!  

I worked up what I thought was a very sixties-sounding instrumental break. Judge for yourself.


Well, the 45 came out and naturally we were really jazzed about it. That summer a couple of us stopped by Venus Records in New York City.  My buddy knew Rodney Rumpot, the guy at the cash register.

"Hey, have your heard our new record?"

He found a copy and put it on the store's sound system.

When my organ solo came on he bleated out at the top of his lungs:

"L-A-A-A-M-E!"


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home