Tuesday, June 01, 2021

 Taking A Break


I'm on Facebook sabbatical.  

It's not the first time.

After some neophyte mistakes and bruising encounters in Face-Land, I signed off between 2010 - 2014.  During that period, my family and I were living in Fayetteville, NC.

In 2013 I lost yet another job! The contract work I was doing at Fort Bragg fell victim to "sequestration." Remember that folks? Probably not, as it happened more that thirteen minutes ago.

My wife and her family came up with a bold plan, i.e. Craig will come back to Buffalo and live with his in-laws while he looks for a job, there.

This part will be yadda-yadda-yadda'd for another time. The bottom line for this telling is that I did, indeed, land a job at an electronics company in Gowanda, NY.

The only sticking point was that it took two and a half years to sell our house in Fayetteville (at a loss, of course!)

So...

in 2014 I logged back on to Facebook to re-connect with folks while I lived in the spare bedroom at my in-laws house.

While it is great to be in touch with family, friends and complete strangers using this modern social media platform, the data-mining and relentless meme onslaught has grown wearying.  What's left of my brain demands a rest.

Frank Zappa wrote a song about television back in the 'seventies when there only three major commercial networks. I think it was pretty visionary in predicting today's media (and social media) landscape:

You will obey me while I lead you

And eat the garbage that I feed you

Until the day that we don't need you

Don't go for help . . . no one will heed you

Your mind is totally controlled

It has been stuffed into my mold

And you will do as you are told

Until the rights to you are sold



Facebook Employees Explain Struggling To Care About Company's Unethical Practices When Gig So Cushy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home