Monday, April 18, 2011

The Violent Tornado of Truth Tour



I am happy to say that for me, there was some rotten weather and an inconvenient one-hour power outage at my house this past weekend.

I am happy to say this, as there are folks here in Fayetteville that are in dire straits thanks to a tornado that cut a wide swath through town:

At least 167 homes in Cumberland County were torn to pieces by the afternoon tornado that carved a three-block wide path across western and northern Fayetteville. Another 144 homes were damaged, 78 of them major, according to a preliminary assessment by county authorities. More than 50 cars were smashed or crushed, and nearly 11,000 homes still had no power going into Sunday evening. Statewide, the number of confirmed dead climbed to at least 17, including one person in Linden, four in Bladen County, two in Lee County and one in Dunn.


Our telephone was busy most of the day with people calling to see if we were OK - which we are.

The day before, there was a mention in the newspaper that former President Jimmy Carter was going to be in Pinehurst for a Stapleton family wedding this past weekend. I wonder if he made it, and, if so, did he bring his "Habitat for Humanity" tool belt with him?


Right now, I'm just killing time at the public library while I wait for my 1:30pm appointment at the Employment Securities Commission.

This oughta be good, as Nestaway opened claims for all their employees back in august, owing to the rolling layoffs there.

Now that the plant is shut down for good I'll find out if I have to open a new claim or what.

Yeesh.

Well, at least my house wasn't reduced to a pile of toothpicks this weekend and, for that, I am grateful.

3 Comments:

Blogger Allan said...

I'm wishing you good look on the claim - and thankful that you are safe.

April 18, 2011 7:09 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Ditto. Good luck with the claim and also thankful you and yours are safe.

April 22, 2011 6:58 PM  
Blogger DirkStar said...

Man these sure are some very tough times. Jobs around here are harder to find than proof Joseph Smith is a true prophet of God.

Glad you and the family are unharmed. Hang in there old friend.

April 30, 2011 5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home