Sunday, January 09, 2011

Whiling Away The Hours

I have been laid off from the dishrack factory (with the exception of five hours worked Monday, 01/03/2011) since Friday, 12/17/10.

Oh, sure I've been scouring the employment sources and sending out resumes during this time. Heck, I want to work for a living, people.

I've started a little project this past week to help while away the time, though.

Owing to a modest post-Christmas windfall, I bought a few DVDs of silent-era cartoons on the (ahem) collector's market. I'm in the process of tweaking them using my computer's video editor so as to create yet another compilation DVD.

What that generally means is laying a music bed and adding sound effects, but can also include some minor re-editing and/or creation of new title cards, as shown above and below.





One cartoon looked like it was the result of pointing a camcorder at a movie screen. I tried to "improve" the image by converting it to gray scale monochrome and cropping it a bit:



Next comes the "fun" part: dropping in a music bed and adding sound effects.

The music bed isn't that bad, but synching-up all those boings, sproings, bonks and other cartoons sounds really takes a lot of time. In the above cartoon there were innumerable pool cue clicks and clacks to add in.

Ah, well, looks like it snowed out again!



Guess I'll get back to editing some more cartoons. Somebody come and get me if they re-open the dishrack factory, M'Kay?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like something I would be interested in owning.

January 12, 2011 3:13 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

You got it!

One copy of this DVD will be going out to:

Anonymous
123 Your Street
Any Town, USA

January 13, 2011 12:49 AM  
Blogger ginab said...

sorry to completely ignore your post here, but I am very interested in the generic brands of the 1980s. Seemed marketing to divorcees was the real deal, as I know my sister and I were made or we were made destined to eat generic mac and cheese aplenty. I would like to remember other types of food, however, and I wonder how much you might could help.

Um, I located your post on generic foods on Google but the post dates back to 2007. I'm writing a story, sifting for details.

sorry for the surprise of this here. I'd appreciate a howdy.

thank you,

Gina

January 16, 2011 3:05 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

Gina:

Thanks for dropping by!

What kind of help can I offer?

I really do wish "generics" would make a comeback, but it is a different time. WAL*MART would not allow it, methinks...

January 18, 2011 8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home