Sunday, March 16, 2008

Status Report: SNAFU

I've been at my "new" job about four months, now.

A quick summary:

I left my last job on good terms.

I started the new job, as Quality Engineer at a manufacturing plant, on 11/12/08.

On 11/16/08 they fired the Quality Manager.

On 11/19/08, the new Quality Manager started. He and I, it appeared, were to be the "new white hope(s)" who were going to really fix things and "change the culture."

This past Wednesday, they fired the "new" Quality Manager! It happened while I was out of the office, visiting one of our customers with the Plant Manager.

Upon my return, I was sent to the new Branch Manager's office and told of the firing.

Their plan? They're not going to hire anyone else. I will be picking up the Quality Manager's duties, apparently in addition my own, current, duties. No promotion, no pay increase, no choice.

Now, before coming on board, I had been praying fervently for a better-paying job with full benefits. My paychecks are now twice what they were at my previous job and as of a month ago, the medical plan kicked in for me and my family. So I thank God for providing me this blessing.

But I have been really blind-sided by this turn of events.

I'm getting the feeling that this place likes to make the Quality Manager the "fall guy" and that the standard corrective action for problems is now "fire the Quality Guy!" I am feeling waves of anxiety that I haven't experienced since 1997.

On one hand, I know I have talents and abilities that I can bring to the party and I feel I could truly help improve the administration of their quality system. But, on the other hand, I've been running into managerial roadblocks that seem to be thwarting my best efforts.

And now I've just had a whole Middle Management yoke clamped around my neck.

I don't see how I can do both jobs, even under the best of circumstances.

My short term plan?

Do my very best.

And keep praying.

I can only believe that I am where I am right now for a reason...

12 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

I hate these uncertain times when companies go all weird and restructure.

But you have the skills, be confident in them.

and most of all, well done on the pay rise and medical plan.

couldn't lend us 20 quid could ya?

March 16, 2008 9:16 AM  
Blogger RED MOJO said...

I think your fears are well founded. I'm scared for you. If I were you, I'd start casting my net. Updated the resume again and spend a little time seeing what else is out there, just in case. You won't feel so vulnerable if you have a back-up plan, or just get yourself out of there before they have a chance to fire you.

March 16, 2008 9:17 AM  
Blogger furiousBall said...

I'm in a similar position at my day job too amigo. That's all we can do, is just keep our heads down, but eyes open.

March 16, 2008 10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! Seems like corporations tday just squeeze harder and harder.

March 16, 2008 12:32 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Good for you Craig, for putting all of that together.

Back-up plans are good.

I'm hoping that things work out for the best for you ... however that may look.

March 16, 2008 4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hesitate to say "Congratulations!" because then you might be next in line for the chopping block.

With that in mind, I too recommend updating your resume and sending it out, just in case you are replaced by the next best version of YOU!

Glad you got a better job with better pay but you are in a very scary place right now which is stressful.

And as you know, MS and stress do not get along. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Keep us updated if you can

March 17, 2008 10:53 AM  
Blogger Gale said...

Advice? Don't make any major purchazes, start socking away as much $$ as possible, refresh your resume, and network all possible connections. Sweetpea - I smell a rat and you best be prepared.

March 17, 2008 2:49 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

That sucks Craig! I'm sorry about all the added work without any added benefits. I'm sure you can handle yourself though.

March 17, 2008 5:39 PM  
Blogger DirkStar said...

May God have mercy on your doomed soul...

Did they at least offer you a blindfold and last cigarette?

March 17, 2008 10:29 PM  
Blogger Allan said...

Trust your instincts.
Now is the time to start looking for a new job.
You know you can do great work and it's a lot easier to find a job if you still have one...or it used to be... I've never seen anything as bad as today's job market.
At least you are finding silver linings, which is good.

Best wishes!

March 19, 2008 6:35 PM  
Blogger Gerard D. de Souza said...

I think doing your best is the best you can do.
And don't worry...you've been given alot of responsibility but it doesn't mean anything bad will happen despite your predecessors. One thing I've learned in dealing with my anxieties is that when we fixate on worse case scenarios our bodies go through the experience as if it's really happening...so don't worry. Don't let them see you sweat, act cool and they'll be cool and never say "I don't know" but "I'll get back to you on that."

March 20, 2008 2:24 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

Hi, everyone.

Thanks for the comments, condolences and advice. (I'll check the employee manual concerning blindfolds, dirkstar!)

What a week it has been. The audit is this morning, starting at 8:30. For better or worse, it's going to happen.

I'll update the blog this weekend and summarize the highs and lows. Keep me in your prayers and thoughts today, folks!

March 20, 2008 6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home