Monday, December 31, 2007

Holiday DVD Binge

What did I get for Christmas, you ask?

Well, in addition to a couple DVDs received as Christmas Presents I was also given a $75 gift certificate for CIRCUIT CITY.

Oh, yeah. Daddy likes... Daddy likes!
1. HELP! My sister-in-law, Denise got me the new double-disc set of this 1965 movie starring The Beatles. Whew, what a restoration job they did on this old Eastman Color film! I had a 16mm color print back in the 80s that was really, really nice but this blows it away.

The songs have been re-mixed for 5.1, but that is meaningless to a Neanderthal like myself. I can play the soundtrack through my stereo, which was really nice, but I don't have that whole surround sound rigging.

The second disc has some nice bonus features. Nothing life-changing, but I'm glad they're there.
2. Walt Disney Treasures - On The Front Lines. This is a two-DVD collection that came out a couple years back. I missed buying it then, darn it. My Father-In-Law found a bunch at SAM'S CLUB and grabbed me a copy as Christmas Gift.

Good move, Dennis!

This set has a whole bunch of shorts that the Disney studios produced during WWII. There's a mother lode of propaganda, entertainment and instructional titles here. Also included is the entire "Victory Through Air Power" feature.

There are some nice interviews and gallery bonuses, too. I'm not a WWI buff, but as an animation nerd, this is essential!
Saturday, I ran over to Circuit City to see what $75 worth of gift card would buy.

I've been trying to get an iMac configured so that I can edit video files and burn DVDs. I had a vague idea that I might be able to buy some more SDRAM memory or a video capture device that is Mac compatible.

No such luck, so it was onto the DVD bins...

I wanted to score a copy of The Osawald The Rabbit cartoon set that had been released as a one of the latest "Walt Disney Treasures." No gots at Circuit City!

OK, how about the new THREE STOOGES collection that Sony/TriStar?Columbia put out? The shorts are mastered from the original negatives and the reviews from on-line Stooge-Fans have been rapturous. Hmmm... also a "no gots" at CC!

All riiiiight... What do they have?

A-ha! Seinfeld Box sets for $16.99 each! Now we're talkin'! I picked up Seasons seven and eight, as I already had seasons one through six. Sweet!

Hmmm... what else to get?

Oh, there's that "TEAM AMERICA WORLD POLICE" movie I wanted to see. Michelle and I got hooked on old THUNDERBIRDS shows back when we had sattellite TV, oh so long ago. So did Trey Parker and Matt Stone, so they made a whole feature using marionettes. I see where this is not so highly rated, but I got it any way.

Oh, wow! Here's that two disc set of "THAT THING YOU DO" that I heard about. As a 'sixties garage band nut, you can just imagine how much I like this movie. And here's a two-and-a-half hour "director's cut" of it! Ah, Bliss!

Movie, movies, movies!!!

Now, if I can only find the time to watch them...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE!

9 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Glad to hear you scored some happiness inducing gifts at Christmas!

Happy New Year to you, Mariel and Michelle! Wishing you the very best in 2008!

January 01, 2008 10:48 AM  
Blogger Allan said...

I miss Captain Scarlet.
Happy New Year!

January 01, 2008 12:40 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Team America World Police is hilarious.

Happy New Year!

January 01, 2008 3:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I stopped buying movies recently when we got a Netflix account. I got a Netflix account because I was tired of the flimsy selection at most movie places, rental and otherwise.

January 01, 2008 10:56 PM  
Blogger Diane J Standiford said...

DVDs--sweet! Happy New Year!
(I got Blade Runner Deluxe Director's Cut 8hrs extra crap)
I think I have my own Disney vault at home.

January 02, 2008 4:51 AM  
Blogger Gale said...

I collect Tom Hanks movies, he cracks me up. I even bought the really bad early ones. I told my sister I collected these and she said all does in pee in his movies. So I sat down and watched every one, found he only did that in about 1/2 of them. Good times!

January 02, 2008 9:10 AM  
Blogger weatherchazer said...

I think we had the same idea. I took my second toaster and some tacky underwear back for DVDs. I'm not fond of toast anyway...

January 02, 2008 3:20 PM  
Blogger DirkStar said...

Ha!

I got the Help D.V.D. before you.

Team America is awesome...

You'll love it.

I don't want to ruin the ending for you but the butler did it...

January 02, 2008 3:55 PM  
Blogger RED MOJO said...

I have Netflix, and I buy movies. I'm a movie-whore. I love them. Can't help it.

January 03, 2008 7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home