Monday, October 01, 2007

Weekend Wrap-Up

Been busy with tons of minutiae, as of late. None of it is particularly interesting, but, hey, this is a blog!

Thursday PM: Looked at my pay stub and discovered the company "docked" me for .05 hours! I can only guess this was the one day the VP forced me out "early" by turning off the lights in the plant and telling me to go home. Even though I clock in five to ten minutes "early" every day, that doesn't "count!" Note to self: I will make sure my clock out time is no earlier than 5:30PM. I can make this happen, believe you me.

Friday: Another 12+ hour Father-Daughter Day. Mariel was in bed and asleep by the time Mommy checked in. The fact that she worked late and wasn't able to get home until 8:45PM helped.

Saturday: Had a meeting at church at 9:00AM; was home by 10:00AM.

Wife noticed a big crack in the front picture window. Not good. Not cheap, either, I'll bet.

I raked and mowed the front yard until 12:45PM. The Summer-long draught has turned my lawn into a dust bowl of Steinbeck proportions. I inhaled 'way too much sediment in the lawn mower wake. I was also covered in silt. Took shower #2.

The whole famn damily hopped in the van to run some errands and check out Halloween stuff at the local nursery. I dropped of an Rx at the drug store and Mariel fell asleep in her car seat. We went back home and the Li'l One woke up crying because she didn't get to see the pumpkins.

So, back in the car and back to the nursery. We then took a quick hop to K-Mart so Daddy could buy new shoes. Emmett Kelley called and he wanted his old pair back.

Dropped the Wife and Kid off at the house and at 4:30PM ran back to the drug store.
Pharmacy Clerk: That'll be $78, Mr. Davison.

Me: Whoah, whoah, whoah! I guess you don't have my health care plan in your data banks. Here's the card.

Pharmacy Clerk: Just have a seat and we'll take care of it.

[Five minutes later...]

Pharmacy Clerk: OK, Mr. Davison, that'll only be $50, now.

Me: Uh, well, that's OK. I can't afford that either, this month. Thanks, any way.
(It was for a prescription allergy medication. I'll go OTC, thank you!)

Drove across town to the Fantastic Sams that gives the $6 "Bald Man Special" haircuts.

Stopped at the Library and took out a couple Chiltons Manuals to try to figure out what's wrong with the van's electrical system.

Dinner.

Dishes.

Amuse Daughter.

Daughter's bed time.

I transferred some old cartoons from VHS to DVD until 10:30PM and then called it quits.

Sunday: Church. We had a "combined service" at 10:30AM which brought together the "early" and "late" service congregations. October is "Pastoral Appreciation Month" and we all surprised Pastor Cook with a vase in which every family placed a single carnation. He was touched. He was speechless! Pastor Cook and his wife, Shirley, are good friends!

12:00PM, we're back home from Church and our friend, Morgan called. She's on her way over with her daughter, Trinity and infant son, Justice. Great - a play date for Mariel and some company for Mommy!

12:30PM - 2:00PM found me mowing the back yard and spraying weed-killer on the last of the poison ivy.

Between 2:00PM - 3:30PM I was sweaty and zonked out from the latest round of yard work. Owing to our company, I was able to sneak off and flake out for a bit.

The rest of the day consisted of dinner, dishes and daughter. I set the DVD recorder to get part five of the Ken Burns series on WWII. I checked my email and hit the sack at 10:30PM

Monday: The alarm went off at 5:15AM. Mariel tottered into the bedroom and wanted to "snuggle with Daddy." I finally got up around 5:40AM and let Mommy look after the Li'l Angel. Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work I go.

...and how was your weekend..?

9 Comments:

Blogger furiousBall said...

I worked all weekend on the back deck and various nerdery. I actually cut my own hair to save money. I look stupid, but at least I save $8 every couple of months...brilliant I know.

October 01, 2007 1:48 PM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

I washed the dishes that had literally been piling up for 2 weeks due to the insane schedule we've had. It was completely out of control, possibly the worst of the last decade.

At least Sunday was the Seahawks.

October 01, 2007 10:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

They have a "bald guy special?" Funny. They never have any "guy with massive, bushy hair" special. They just look at me, scream and run.

October 02, 2007 2:00 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

dorky dad: Do you look that much like Casper, the friendly ghost?

cowbell: Two weeks! I'm guessing the EPA needed an environmental impact statement for your kitchen sink.

furiousball: I actually bought some clippers a few years back. What I need to do now is buy a #4 attachment and I'll be in business!

October 02, 2007 7:09 AM  
Blogger Charlotta-love said...

Wait. You had a meeting at the church at 9 and were home by 10?! Gosh. I wish MY church meetings were that fast!

October 02, 2007 11:47 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

charlotta: It was only an hour because the meeting was, in essence, cancelled! (There was starbucks coffee, donuts and bagels so I hung around to nosh.)

October 02, 2007 4:19 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

That paragraph about the pharmacy actually makes me sad, there are lots of great things about the US. Health Care is not one of them.

All the best.

October 03, 2007 7:46 AM  
Blogger Allan said...

My weekend contained all the bad elements and none of the good ones...of course, being unemployed means every day is a weekend!

October 03, 2007 2:54 PM  
Blogger CS said...

Mine was actually a pretty good one - bike ride, watching my son's marching band compete and win trophies, and a birthday brunch Sunday. Can't complain.

October 03, 2007 10:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home