Monday, September 24, 2007

Van Damn!

Remember the saga of how AAMCO fixed my Van's transmission, but trashed my car stereo in the process?

Well, Uncle Jed, I done bought me a decent-looking AM/FM/CD at Best Buy, along with $40 worth of mounting & cabling adaptors so I could do it up right.

I spent Saturday night at the kitchen table soldering the adaptor harness. Just before dinner on Sunday I had a brief window of opportunity (W.O.O.) to do the installation.

It went in like a dream. The connectors slid right into place and the mounting hardware lined up just fine.

It would've been perfect if the damned thing actually powered up.

Yep, somehow something in my van's electrical system got screwed up during it's stay at AAMCO. I'm willing to bet that the original stereo is just fine.

In the old days, you'd have a fuse block in between the stereo and the car battery and if the stereo didn't work it was because the fuse was blown.

There appears to be a fuse and a relay for the stereo under the dashboard. The fuse is OK; I don't know about the relay. And then there's a separate fuse and relay whozis under the hood that feeds the internal fuse block.

Well, my limited window of opportunity closed and I had to go eat dinner.

Guess I'll crawl around the van with my voltmeter this coming Saturday (my next possible W.O.O.) and see where the voltage stops on it's way to the CD player.

Possible good outcome: I fix the voltage supply problem, re-install the original deck in the van and then put the new deck into our 1994 Scabmobile. I suppose it could happen...

8 Comments:

Blogger Charlotta-love said...

I rolled down my window one day only to have it not roll up again. The cable had snapped.
Car Shop Repair: $500+ and labor
Me Repair: $45 part plus labor

I repaired it myself. Took me 5 hours. And it's slower than the passenger window but I DID IT MYSELF.

Good luck with your radio! :o)

September 24, 2007 9:44 AM  
Blogger furiousBall said...

You title a post Van Damn! and the self centered part of me thinks, "oh what did I do now?"

September 24, 2007 2:36 PM  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

oh how annoying! a new toy that doesn't work!!!

September 24, 2007 3:03 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

That sucks!

Best of luck finding and fixing the problem.

September 24, 2007 4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why not just jump it off the lighter? also, doesn't that rig have a powered sub amp? maybe thats the culprit. anyway, bonne cnace, mon frere

September 24, 2007 6:47 PM  
Blogger Gale said...

So do you guys just automatically know this stuff? Born with the ability to know what wire does what to that thingamajig? I have to go bake a cake now.

September 25, 2007 7:07 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

gale: Believe me, I'd rather be baking a cake. I usually use the recipe on the Hershey's Cocoa can.

scott: Using the cigarette lighter wire is my plan B. My biggest concern right now is that somehow the entire harness has gotten wrecked, which would also include all the speaker wires. That would be a pretty big "Owie!"

furiousball: I'm sure you are somehow involved in this mess.

everyone else: Thanks for the tea 'n' sympathy!

September 25, 2007 7:56 AM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

Nothing like a handy man to make a gal envious. I know how to replace a toilet, fix a leak, do limited "computer stuff", fix a washer, but farting around with wires in the cramped front of a car ... so much nicer if there's somebody who knows how to do that crap. Good luck!

September 30, 2007 4:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home