Monday, September 10, 2007

Weekend Wrap-Up

It was one of those "Father-Daughter Day" weekends.

Mommy worked 8am - 8 pm on Friday, 8am - 4pm on Saturday and Noon - 4pm on Sunday.

Mariel was the beneficiary of 24 hours of Daddy Day Care!

Friday: I had run out of coffee on Thursday, and, owing to payment of our mortgage, there was scant budget for grocery shopping until next week's paycheck. I had a few dollars to my name, so the plan was to buy a cup of coffee a day to ward off the inevitable caffeine-withdrawal headaches. I was still stuporous, but at least it didn't feel like a crackhead monkey was trying to bust out of my skull with an ice-pick.

It was finally a day where the heat index would allow it, so Mariel and I went to the playground. (I stopped off at a Bojangles on the way for my ration of bean juice.)

A two-and-a-half month layoff in playground trips left Mariel a little tentative at first, but soon she was climbing up the activity center steps and sliding down the slides. Ah... fresh air and sunshine after cowering in the air-conditioned living room all Summer.

Once home, we did the usual activities:

  • Played with her puppets.
  • Colored in her "My Little Pony" coloring book.
  • Watched cartoons. (Dang! "Fetch! With Ruff Ruffman" isn't on at 5:30 anymore!)
  • Repeat until bedtime.

I was hoping the fresh air and activity would've exhausted Mariel. Hah! Can you guess who was inert by the time Mommy came home?

(Hint: Male, aged 49, doughy, caffeine-deprived)
Saturday: Daddy and daughter took a trip to the downtown library. I picked up a coffee at McDonald's en-route.

Mariel picked out a DVD of "Ckicka Chicka Boom Boom." This is one of her favorite books and we had previously borrowed the video from the library. One of the bonus shorts on the disc is a story about a runaway kangaroo named "Joey."

Both cartoons got multiple (and I mean multiple) viewings chez Davison.

I made a pot of chili for dinner.

Around 6:00, the wife called to me from the bathroom:

"Honey, there seems to be water leaking out from under the toilet."

Who doesn't want to hear that phrase late on a Saturday?

Yep, the idiot contractors who rebuilt our tub left the toilet bolts finger tight, so the wax ring had started leaking! (Sure glad I called in "professionals" to do this for me!)

This meant Mariel's bath was cancelled for the evening. Daddy ran to Home Depot and bought a new ring, 15/32" toilet-mounting bolts and some of those white caps that fit over the bolts.

The toilet was off, repaired and back in service in record time. It actually worked, too! I am DA MAN, it seems.

About this time Mariel started getting fussy and wiping her nose with the palm of her hand.

"Honey, Mariel feels warm," said Mommy. "I think she's getting sick."

Children's Motrin and some pediatric cold medicine were dispensed at bed time.

Good Night!
Sunday: Daddy ran to McDonald's first thing to get a cup of coffee. I also grabbed an Egg McMuffin for Michelle. (This is because I am a good husband.)

Mariel was still sniffly and out-of-sorts. Michelle had to be at work at Noon. I had to usher at the 11:00 church service.

"Easy like a Sunday Morning, " my ass!

Mommy stayed home with Mariel.

Daddy ran to church to hand out bulletins and take up the offering. (No communion this week!) I ducked out at 11:50, right after the collection had been taken. Michelle hopped in the car and took off for work.

Mariel had a very late lunch so she wasn't hungry at Noontime. Daddy reheated a bowl of chili.

We messed around the house until about 2:00 and then I was hit by a brain-storm.

The local DOLLAR TREE once had cans of coffee for a buck a throw. And it wasn't that bad, either. This is also one of Mariel's favorite stores, as she is usually assured getting some sort of knick-knack, so it was an "easy sell."

The thermometer in the van read 105 degrees f when we first got in, but it fell to a measly 95 once we got moving. Inside, the A/C worked it's magic.

Rats! THE DOLLAR TREE didn't have any more of that coffee.

What they did have were some awesome videos for a dollar each! Check them out sometime if you find yourself movie-mad but cash-poor.

I picked up some major-studio VHS tapes:

  • THE FILTH AND THE FURY (Documentary on The Sex Pistols)
  • MONTH PYTHON VOLUMES 9 & 12 (These tapes were hawked by the A&E network)
  • LIVING IN THE SHADOW OF MOTOWN (Documentary on the Motown session musicians)
  • POLYESTER (John Waters movie!!!)

And one budget-label DVD:

All Mariel wanted was a fifty-cent mini-puppy from a vending machine.

My daughter conked out in her car seat on the way home and then continued to sleep for an hour after I carried her into the house.

All was calm and quiet when Mommy returned home.

Owing to the nap, Mariel stayed up an extra hour and owing to my watching that new Sex Pistols video, I stayed up until 11:00. The alarm went off at 5:15 this morning, regardless.

Hope you all had enjoyable weekends...

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi craig! Sounds like a busy father-daughter weekend! Glad to hear that you like Fetch With Ruff Ruffman; that's one of Sarah and Katie's favorite shows. Beause we have the $8.50/month cable the only kids channels we have are PBS and Think Bright (also a PBS station). We're actually better off that way- the kids don't watch alot of TV. Hope you, Michelle and Mariel have a good week.

September 10, 2007 11:31 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Daddy Day Care sounds sublime! Do you have an opening?

No coffee? *shudder*

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom has a DVD? *shudder* I'll stick with the book.

I hope your daughter stays healthy and that you get some serious caffeine into you!

September 10, 2007 4:58 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

I'm exhausted and all I did was read about your weekend! Let's see... sick child, leaky toilet, no coffee and a trip to the dollar store = almost as much fun as Diver Dan, Volume 2!

September 10, 2007 9:46 PM  
Blogger Gale said...

A good dad, a handy man, and a shopper. This would look great on your resume, no really.

September 10, 2007 10:46 PM  
Blogger Allan said...

Way cool... you got the Diver Dan vids! it's like you summoned them with blog-magic or something.

September 11, 2007 7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FILTH AND THE FURY FOR A BUCK???

DINER PATRON: MY GOOD MAN, THIS COFFEE TASTES LIKE MUD!
WAITER: WELL, DON'T DRINK IT,THEN.

September 11, 2007 8:59 PM  
Blogger CS said...

Living in the Shadows of Motowon - good find. I have to admit, I like it that my younger son (10) is always willing to join me for a cup of coffee in the morning.

September 12, 2007 8:29 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

amy: They're still showing Ruff Monday - Thursday, just not on Friday. The PBS channel is the ONE channel that comes in using our rabbit ears.

lee: That "Chika" DVD isn't all THAT bad. Nobody seems to read that book using the rhythm I imagine it requires, though.

wiz: You know all about re-seating toilets! I shoulda had YOU do it.

gale: I'll update my resume, accordingly.

allan: Ah, yes! Sweet, sweet blog-magic. This also means I can sell my 16mm prints of these episodes on eBay...

scott: "Why do you ask, Two Dogs..?" Awesome joke, dude! ROFLMAO x infinity!

cs: I'm looking forward to that Motwon doc. Jimmy Jammerson (sp?) was a kick-ass bass-player! Paul McCartney even said as much.

September 12, 2007 3:33 PM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

dude, I loved the My Little Pony coloring book deals. We still color, sometimes. Just not My Little Pony anymore.

September 13, 2007 3:04 AM  
Blogger AngelConradie said...

sounds hectic... and i've just had a damien-less weekend! and i am sO craving coffee and fast food!

September 24, 2007 3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home