Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Commercials I Hate (dot) Com

Oh, man, but have I been in a prickly mood lately!

I've been thinking about doing a post concerning TV advertising and I might yet do it. But first I'm going to have to carefully read through the commercialsihate.com website to see if there's any ground left to be plowed.

This fellow has a great list of ADVERTISING OFFENSES with which I already agree. Here's a sample:
TOTALLY UNREAL SITUATIONS:

These ads show people in situations they would never really be in, like two grown women grocery shopping together with one cart, or a girls soccer team eating cheerios with bowls and spoons on the soccer field.

I saw an ad where a guy eats cereal at an outdoor cafe, with the cereal box on the table.

People eat cereal at home and that's it.

Nobody goes out and pays to eat cereal in a cafe.

And on the soccer field? Give me a break!

I'd like to see an ad that shows single people eating right over the sink.

Now that's a real situation!

Well, as I said, I've been in a prickly mood, lately...

UPDATE: In the interest of being fair and balanced, I give you a link to bestadsontv.com.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will remain tuned to this station to hear more of your thoughts on this subject ... I hate the somewhat recent trend on cable to sell time to local (amateur) advertisers. The ads tend to be poorly produced (like YouTube videos) and frequently aired. In my area (Indianapolis), the cable company, Insight Communications, has a series of about 20 of their own crappy ads on TV. They seem to be mostly advertising the fact that their own employees are complete morons. One ad explores how the tech staff has no clue as to what the word "genre" means. ("It's like a group of things based on a theme" explains their intelligent manager)

_ _ _

Hopefully, you will also explore the flipside as well -ads that you like. I have a couple of favorites as usual. One that I really like (but I can't remember the sponsor) is for a privacy filter for your laptop screen. It takes place in a cafe where this guy is trying to do work on his computer. At the same time, all of his neighbors are trying to read his screen ... Have you seen that one?

May 16, 2007 7:16 PM  
Blogger Bardouble29 said...

Sounds like the makings of a great blog, but there are some that just tickle me too.

There is one that the guy is shaking a cow, and it has to do something with milkshakes. I have no idea why, but I LOVE that commercial. It makes me laugh.

May 17, 2007 12:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't think there are enough funny ads. I don't care about any of the others. Just give me funny ads. Make me laugh, dammit.

May 17, 2007 12:48 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

You know, with my rabbit ears we're really only able to pick up a watchable signal from the PBS affiliate out of Lumberton, so I haven'te seen much of actual broadcast TV for over three years, now.

I did like those Geico cavemen commercials. I saw a few of them while I was on vacation and while waiting in a tire shop.

If I can organise my thoughts on the matter, I'll post more.

Funny how the commercials you folks like best are for products and services you can't remember!

May 17, 2007 5:13 AM  
Blogger furiousBall said...

Or how about a commercial with two junkies cooking up a spoon of heroin, shooting up and then eating a bowl of Total...If you're going to one thing good for yourself, make it a bowl of Total.

May 17, 2007 9:19 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

I haven't seen that one, f-ball. Did they use their cereal spoon to cook their junk? Sounds more like a sugar smacks commercial to me...

May 17, 2007 9:28 AM  
Blogger CS said...

I hate most ads, Tv or radio. Especially the ones where they talk fast and loud. Or the one when some complete goober of a guy is being pursued by a babe because he drinks the right beer or drives the right car or whatver. But the caveman ads for Geico? - I have never gotten tired of seeing those.

May 17, 2007 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home