Sunday, October 12, 2008

Craig's List? Craig's Pissed!

I have been trying to get rid of our 1996 Grand Caravan, off and on, since August.

The ten day ad in the Fayetteville Observer classified section garnered two calls and two no-shows. It was during this time that I discovered the air conditioning we paid $250 to have fixed in July completely stopped working.

The van sat fallow for the month of September because I was so swamped with preparing for that audit at work. During this time, however, a co-worker hipped me to the fact that there was a CRAIGSLIST for Fayetteville! Not only that, but he actually knew people who bought and sold stuff successfully using it.

So, I put the van up on Craigslist last Sunday. I listed it at approximately $2,000 below the Kelly Blue Book value and mentioned the inoperable A/C issue.

I immediately got five emails!

Three of the emails begged for me to send them digital photos.

I replied, explaining that I did not have a digital camera, but if they wanted to come out for a look and a test drive here is my phone number.

Nada.

I re-listed it on Thursday with a stock photo of a green1996 Caravan. I explained that it was a stock photo and that I did not have a digital camera, but would be happy to arrange for viewings and test drives. I included my phone number, in hopes that people would call, rather than e-mail for photos.

I got an email from a fellow who wanted know if (1) there were any service lights on and (2) did I have a clear title?

I replied that the answers were (1) no and (2) yes.

He responded by saying he would like to come out on Saturday "around lunch time" to look it over. I gave him my phone number, address and a mapquest map to my house.

Yep. He never showed.

The following is directed to these Craiglist time wasters:

WHAT IS WITH YOU PEOPLE?!?!?!?

YOU WANT TO BUY A CAR?

THEN BUY A CAR!

ARE YOU CRUISING THE "CARS FOR SALE" LISTINGS BECAUSE THE M4M SERVER IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE?

YOU GUYS ARE NOW ON THIS CRAIG'S LIST!


[insert long string of curse words here]

7 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Ergh. How frustrating!

Hope your luck turns around soon!

October 13, 2008 8:04 AM  
Blogger Allan said...

Try dating on craigslist. You meet the nicest people.

October 13, 2008 8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does the radio have working AM? If it does, I might be interested.

October 14, 2008 1:01 AM  
Blogger Gale said...

I'v decided if I ever sell anything on Craigslist and someone is willing to 'stop' by. I will arrange a visit by the local cop shop parking lot. That way I can sort of trust them, they don't know where I live, and they can sort of trust me. No trust in this old world anymore. Nope!

October 14, 2008 7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the very same troupble with tryuing to sell a fridge on Craig's List. There's some wacky folks who frequent the list.

October 15, 2008 8:04 PM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

i haven't tried to sell anything on there. i imagine it will take some time. hang in there!

October 18, 2008 8:50 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Most of what I have heard about Craigslist is not good.

I wish you luck selling your van.

October 19, 2008 5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home