Friday, September 05, 2008

McMusings

I ate lunch at a McDonalds this past week.

I chose a ninety-nine cent cheeseburger, a dollar side salad and a "small" dollar drink.

A regular hamburger is eighty-nine cents, but I felt like blowing an extra dime on that slice of cheese-like substance. So, the price of the cheeseburger meal I selected was $2.99 versus $2.89 for the hamburger version.

A hamburger "Happy Meal" costs $2.69 and consists of a hamburger, "kid-size" beverage, small fries and a toy. The cheeseburger "Happy Meal" costs $3.09.

I wonder why there's a forty cent price differential between the CB and non-CB "Happy Meals" when an a la cart upgrade to CB is only ten cents?
I am of an age when I remember when McDonalds' signs use to proclaim that x million hamburgers had been served.

Then they stopped keeping track of the exact number and just stated "million and millions served."

Then they updated to "billions served."

Obviously, a lot of people have eaten a lot of McDonalds burgers over the years.

But I have never encountered anyone who has said, "Boy, I wish I could make my hamburgers at home just like McDonalds makes their hamburgers! You, know, all flat and tasteless."

Why is that, do you suppose?

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who makes their own home-made Oreos, either.

What is it about industrially-engineered, machine-made food that is so popular?

8 Comments:

Blogger furiousBall said...

the happy doesn't cost extra if you bring your own

September 06, 2008 9:43 AM  
Blogger the blogger formerly known as yinyang said...

They secretly inject drugs into their food. It's the only reason I've come up with for my undying love of Sausage McMuffins.

September 06, 2008 10:36 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I could introduce you to someone who wishes I could make hamburgers just like McDonalds!

September 08, 2008 9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

McDonalds is popular because it is quick, consistentl(even if it is consistently bad-to-mediocre) and fairly cheap. And LOADED with the fat and sodium Americans crave. What was your question again?

September 08, 2008 4:12 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

I remember when they used to change the numbers too.

It's popular because it is convienient.

September 10, 2008 2:28 AM  
Blogger Allan said...

Glad you survived. Next time toss the sandwich and eat the packaging- it's healthier.

America has a long tradition of making the worst ( insert noun here) the most popular...American Idol, Republicans, Lenny Kravitz, Starbucks, ad nauseum

September 11, 2008 1:54 PM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

That is so true. well...i think there is a cookbook out there of how to make things like oreos. i forget what it is called. oh yes...Top Secret Recipes. i will have to look up oreos for ya. maybe they even have mcdonald's food.

i miss the mcdonald's fried pies. now they are baked and wimpy. i want more deep fryer oil dammit!

September 13, 2008 11:01 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I believe there is something addictive about fast food. I used to eat large amounts of it frequently. By frequently, I mean I practically lived on the stuff.

After giving it up for almost a year (and losing over 60 lbs) I decided to treat myself to a quarter pounder. I felt the grease squirt in my mouth with my first bite. I haven't been back since. I shudder at the damage I've already done to my body consuming that crap for all those years

September 15, 2008 11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home