Friday, September 05, 2008

McMusings

I ate lunch at a McDonalds this past week.

I chose a ninety-nine cent cheeseburger, a dollar side salad and a "small" dollar drink.

A regular hamburger is eighty-nine cents, but I felt like blowing an extra dime on that slice of cheese-like substance. So, the price of the cheeseburger meal I selected was $2.99 versus $2.89 for the hamburger version.

A hamburger "Happy Meal" costs $2.69 and consists of a hamburger, "kid-size" beverage, small fries and a toy. The cheeseburger "Happy Meal" costs $3.09.

I wonder why there's a forty cent price differential between the CB and non-CB "Happy Meals" when an a la cart upgrade to CB is only ten cents?
I am of an age when I remember when McDonalds' signs use to proclaim that x million hamburgers had been served.

Then they stopped keeping track of the exact number and just stated "million and millions served."

Then they updated to "billions served."

Obviously, a lot of people have eaten a lot of McDonalds burgers over the years.

But I have never encountered anyone who has said, "Boy, I wish I could make my hamburgers at home just like McDonalds makes their hamburgers! You, know, all flat and tasteless."

Why is that, do you suppose?

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who makes their own home-made Oreos, either.

What is it about industrially-engineered, machine-made food that is so popular?

8 Comments:

Blogger furiousBall said...

the happy doesn't cost extra if you bring your own

September 06, 2008 9:43 AM  
Blogger yinyang said...

They secretly inject drugs into their food. It's the only reason I've come up with for my undying love of Sausage McMuffins.

September 06, 2008 10:36 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

I could introduce you to someone who wishes I could make hamburgers just like McDonalds!

September 08, 2008 9:31 AM  
Blogger citizen of the world said...

McDonalds is popular because it is quick, consistentl(even if it is consistently bad-to-mediocre) and fairly cheap. And LOADED with the fat and sodium Americans crave. What was your question again?

September 08, 2008 4:12 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

I remember when they used to change the numbers too.

It's popular because it is convienient.

September 10, 2008 2:28 AM  
Blogger Allan said...

Glad you survived. Next time toss the sandwich and eat the packaging- it's healthier.

America has a long tradition of making the worst ( insert noun here) the most popular...American Idol, Republicans, Lenny Kravitz, Starbucks, ad nauseum

September 11, 2008 1:54 PM  
Blogger Merelyme said...

That is so true. well...i think there is a cookbook out there of how to make things like oreos. i forget what it is called. oh yes...Top Secret Recipes. i will have to look up oreos for ya. maybe they even have mcdonald's food.

i miss the mcdonald's fried pies. now they are baked and wimpy. i want more deep fryer oil dammit!

September 13, 2008 11:01 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I believe there is something addictive about fast food. I used to eat large amounts of it frequently. By frequently, I mean I practically lived on the stuff.

After giving it up for almost a year (and losing over 60 lbs) I decided to treat myself to a quarter pounder. I felt the grease squirt in my mouth with my first bite. I haven't been back since. I shudder at the damage I've already done to my body consuming that crap for all those years

September 15, 2008 11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home