Saturday, August 23, 2008

Should I Join The Dark Side?


I've kvetched about my s-l-o-w dial up internet connection in many previous posts.

And in private e mails.

And at the water cooler.

And to random strangers at the mall who do not speak English.

The question is, if (if, mind you!) I decided to get some sort of high speed internet service what are my options?

It seems like I have to have some sort of "total service package" wherein I simply add the high speed option to my my $125 monthly digital cable-long distance-security system-satellite radio-50 rock a day crack bill.

No dig!

"Oh, there's some telephone company in another state that has been court-ordered to supply high speed internet access for $4.95 a month," you might say.

"Well, I don't live in that state!" I might answer.

I just can't fathom it.

"Why don't you just use your iPhone?" you might reasonably inquire.

"Don't make me have to kill you," would come my most rational response.

It seems like there should be some sort of gimmick-free, high speed service available for less than $20 a month.

Listen up, Obama!

Listen up, Johnny M!

Give me free high speed and you have my vote.

(Well, that and the war thing. And the health care thing. And the gas thing. And...)

8 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

All the kwel kids are doing it ...

c'mon ... you know you wanna ...

August 23, 2008 9:14 AM  
Blogger furiousBall said...

yeah, it makes you feel good

August 23, 2008 9:38 AM  
Blogger DirkStar said...

Sorry, but all you'll ever get from Obama is a handful of change.

Opps, I forgot, he's fresh out of change...

August 23, 2008 7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To get a service like Vonage, you have to already have high speed internet - so that saves you on your regular phone bill.

To get a cheaper phone bill, you have to have internet access.

It is a vicious circle and not worth the aggravation. We have Verizon here in PA so I get the high speed through them. I balk at the costs, , , but, I just pay the damn bills.

August 26, 2008 6:18 PM  
Blogger the blogger formerly known as yinyang said...

A note of caution: once you switch over, you may never want to switch back. As aggravating as dial-up was when my family had it originally, it was so much worse the second time around.

August 26, 2008 11:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I echo yingyang -- once you go high-speed, you're there forever. You will never, ever go back to dial-up again.

But it is awesome. I got rid of cable and kept the high-speed.

August 27, 2008 12:00 AM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

You can do what I have. Get a computer with wireless capabilities and live near a school, coffe shop, or some other place that has free wireless.

Granted it is not always reliable but it's better than dial up.

August 27, 2008 2:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to third the "once you cross over you'll never go back" commenters. It makes a world of difference. And when I moved to a place with no cable or DSL access I paid through thoe nose for crapy satellite because I couldn't bear to have dial-up. I have DSL now, which I prefer, and liked cable, too.

August 28, 2008 6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home