Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Spoilers: Reposted from 04/17/06


I've recently been experiencing some exasperation on one of the message boards I frequent, so I am re-posting this entry from April, 2006.

Why? Because I can!

Something I haven't yet done, as of this writing, is fill in my interests as part of my profile. Here are a few of them, some of which are in remission:
    The Beatles
    Garage Bands from the 'Sixties
    Cartoons
    16mm Film Collecting
Anyone with any sort of specialized interest will sooner or later come into contact with other folks who share these same interests. This could happen through answering ads, meeting folks at special-interest conventions, bumping into like-minded people around town, reading fan publications, and, most recently, cruising the Internet.

Seems there are always those people who feel the need to mark their territory and be the "alpha" of the pack. I've seen this played out amongst cartoon fans, comics fans, sci-fi fans, music fans and even cereal box collectors(!) to name a few. No doubt there are Square Dance Record Collectors who experience the same kind of people, as well.

These are folks who may very well have a solid background on the subject at hand, a decent-sized collection of artifacts and know all the right people, but then they squander this capital by being rude, arrogant and condescending towards anyone who can't enhance their status among the special-interest community. In at least two cases that spring readily to mind, there are people who actually have a product to sell, and yet they persist in alienating their target audiences.

'Twas ever thus, I suppose, but the speed of the Internet makes it all the more easier for such folks to locate an audience and curdle a hobby for hundreds of people in one fell swoop. At least in the "old days" of fanzine letters columns there would be a month or more between issues for someone to cool off and reconsider before going on the offensive. (Although anybody who has ever read The Comics Journal knows that even this is not a safeguard!)

Here's a link that describes the phenomenon known as the Internet TROLL. [Note: The original "troll" link is no longer active, so I have inserted a different one.] Here's a brief quote from [the original] site in answer to the question, "Why do they do it?":

Trolls crave attention, and they care not whether it is positive or negative. They see the Internet as a mirror into which they can gaze in narcissistic rapture.

If you want a deeper analysis than that, perhaps a psychologist can shed some additional light on the matter


Towards that end, here's another link that describes something called Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

There seems to be a common thread running between these two bits of reference. Here's one quote from the NPD page:

Some narcissists are flamboyantly boastful and self-aggrandizing, but many are inconspicuous in public, saving their conceit and autocratic opinions for their nearest and dearest. Common conspicuous grandiose behaviors include expecting special treatment or admiration on the basis of claiming (a) to know important, powerful or famous people or (b) to be extraordinarily intelligent or talented.



Postscript - October, 2007: Something else a TROLL will do, if left unchecked, is to overload a message board and turn it into their own personal blog. No other message-poster can escape their comment. That is the situation that has prompted this flashback post. The bully dearly loves to rule "his" sandbox!

Thanks to all my bloggin' buddies for being so good-natured and courteous, even if or when we might disagree about something!

Labels:

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the message boards. Back in my younger days, when I was a lot quicker on the draw, I would jump into the alpha poster fray. I'm smarter now and just skipped the middleman and started my own blog. I can PWN whomever the hell I want. Well worth the $12.99 a month.

October 24, 2007 1:44 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

Thanks for dropping by, busydad!

I just dicovered your blog via xbox4nappyrash and I'm going to add you to my blogroll.

Soon.

October 24, 2007 1:58 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

I agree with busydad.

I pretty much leave forums to their own devices now, and I'm enjoying rattling off to myself on blog.

Internet forums are funny funny places, filled with a lot of funny funny people.

It's when you can log off and look at your family that you realise where the 'real' world begins and ends.

Keep up the good work ;-)

October 24, 2007 2:03 PM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

So, there are AlphaMale cartoonists? And comic book collectors? Who knew?

October 24, 2007 6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Egg- You've clearly made your point; Square dance record collectors are somehow not cool.

October 24, 2007 6:47 PM  
Blogger Gale said...

What an interesting thought! I never thought of blog bullies or the like, just thought some people were obnoxious and the internet just kind of enhanced their stupidity. Now I have to go check on my square dance record club, it meets right before the harley-davidson servi car group. I get to lead the email sing a longs.

October 24, 2007 9:24 PM  
Blogger furiousBall said...

I've made the same internet evolution as well. forums pretty much are only used when i need information. i prefer the blog thesedays.

October 25, 2007 9:18 AM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Trolls do abound in interweb world.

Luckily I have only had a few run-ins with them.

October 25, 2007 3:35 PM  
Blogger RED MOJO said...

If someone is bullying my boy, I want to know about it! :0

October 25, 2007 6:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oooh, you mean I could turn these comments into my personal blog? Hmmmm ...

October 26, 2007 12:24 AM  
Blogger Allan said...

Man...I spent years doing Comic Cons...from the dealer POV...there's a dark, seedy and even dangerous side to that world. Seriously.

October 26, 2007 3:01 PM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

Speaking of trolls and annoying spamalots, Hi adam, you ass-spammer.

October 26, 2007 4:45 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

cowbell: I was going to delete "adam's" comment, but then I'd have to delete your's. I can bear to rid my blog of the term "ass-spammer."

allan: Yeah, we collectors can be a weird socially majadjusted bunch. Best case scneraio, per Wally in the Dilbert strip: "Apparently I'm insane, but it's the happy kind!"

dorky dad: I've been doing it in your comments section for some time, now!

whim: Yeah, these sort of interactions happen rarely, but it it's kind of sad when they do.

xbox, busydad, f-ball: I've really scaled back on my message board consumption,in favor of blogs. The message borads do offer certain intangibles, though.

EVERYBODY: Something major is blowin' in the wind here in DoughyLand. I'll be more certain come Tuesday whether it's a "go" or not. In the mean time...

October 26, 2007 9:29 PM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

trolls do suck. fortunately they seem to be small in number in blogger land.

October 27, 2007 4:06 PM  
Blogger Allan said...

Good luck with ???!

October 29, 2007 10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend the top performing Software Deployment software for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central VNC
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!

December 20, 2009 6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home