Thursday, October 11, 2007

Hope Spings Eternal

You know, I haven't spent nearly enough time complaining about my computer. At least here, on this blog.

In the "real world" it's about all I talk about!

I bought a PIONEX system from Sam's Club just after we relocated to Fayetteville, NC. That was in 1998, people!

This system was already outdated before I paid for it. The stickers on the lower left-hand section of the tower proudly declares it has a PENTIUM PROCESSOR (note the lack of roman numerals) and was designed to run Windows 95.

It has been dying a long, slow death for the past couple of years. The TWAIN thingy has crapped out, so that scanning is no longer possible. The non-upgradeable 48 Megs of memory can no longer handle any contemporary programs. There are no USB ports. Etc, etc, etc.

Now, something I have complained about here is that I can never get the money put aside to actually buy a new computer. It's always one house repair, car repair or medical emergency after another that usurps my PC fund.

Well, thanks to my oldest pal Bill, I'll be getting his cast-off computer in the mail any day now.

The hard drive is totally wiped clean, but my plan is to install the Windows95 (with the W98 upgrade) from my system discs and see if it'll come back to life for me.

Oh, that would be sweet.

There's at least one other "thing" blowing in the wind right now, but it's too early to tell what's going to come of it, so I won't even go there.

Yet.

10 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

I'm curious now, go on, give us a clue... ;-)


I'm on a 6 year old machine at home which has really been feeling the strain of late, so I invested less than €100 for the best memory upgrade I could get, and I'm gonna see it's 10th anniversary if it kills me.

October 11, 2007 2:06 PM  
Blogger furiousBall said...

If the 98-95 route doesn't work I highly recommend Ubuntu, you'd see much better performance from that box.

October 11, 2007 2:57 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

furiousball: Well, I can find the exit for the I-95 OK, but the rest of that stuff..?

xbox4nappyrash: It's a "quality of life" thang. For those of you that were around earlier this Summer, it has to do with "professionalism."

I can say no more.

October 11, 2007 3:02 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Congratulations on getting a new computer Craig!

Kudos to your pal Bill.

October 12, 2007 7:51 PM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

oooh you sound excited! i would be too. you will have to tell us all about it when you get it.

October 12, 2007 10:03 PM  
Blogger Gale said...

You should try to sell it on EBAY as an antique or something. Impressive.

October 13, 2007 9:44 PM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

Maybe you could make a planter out of the old one. I'm sure Martha Stewart has some handy tips for how to do it.

October 14, 2007 5:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

UBUNTU? What kind of creepy system is Furious hocking, anyway? Now I'm curious.

Good luck with the machine. Stupid computers. I hate them all.

October 15, 2007 1:37 AM  
Blogger Allan said...

I am totally impressed. You upload massive files, post videos, original art etc, and blog - all with a Y2K compliant machine and (until recently, I think)a dial-up connex.
With a new machine, the web will be your oyster!

October 15, 2007 3:40 PM  
Blogger the blogger formerly known as yinyang said...

Windows 95? I'm sitting here working on a forced upgrade to Vista, and you're still back in '95? Come on, you need to at least join this millennium!

No, seriously, if it works for you, great. I sure wouldn't be able to handle it.

October 20, 2007 11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home