Friday, July 08, 2011

Me And Calvin - Part II

Guess what?

I had a second interview at the Coty factory back on June 24th.

I got a call at about 12:45 from "the agency" that I had to be out at the factory by 2:00 for another interview, this time with a Ms. Burns.

I peeled off my shorts-n-tee shirt, slapped on the shirt-n-tie and made a bee-line for Sanford, NC.

Turns out that this was an interview for a different part of the plant. Whereas the previous session had involved incoming inspection for packaging components, this jobs is for final inspection of product at the enamel (i.e. fingernail polish) line.

Ms. Burns didn't know that I had been out there a few weeks prior and that I already had a cursory knowledge of the plant layout and product lines.

A couple of highlights:

1. The position is as an inspector on the second shift, so she was concerned that I would be able to handle some of the drama associated with telling people when product is not to spec and corrections are needed.

What luck!

I just happened to have a letter of recommendation from a previous boss at the dishrack factory that stated:

"[Craig's] diplomatic and genial approach is very successful with both customers and suppliers. He is particularly adept at calming difficult situations."


(Thanks, Colin - I owe ya!)

2. The interviewer played the old, "you seem to actually be OVERQUALIFIED for this position."

Aha - I was ready for her this time.

The main concern with "overqualified candidates" is that once you hire them and train them they will bolt for a better job, more in line with their experience level.

I pointed out that since this was to be a temporary contract position for "three to six months" then it is already acknowledged by both parties that there is a finite time period involved. Putting on an "overqualified" person in such an instance is actually buying the employer "more bang for their buck!"

This morning , my wife turned on my cell phone and noticed that there were two messages in queue. There weren't any messages the previous night when I hooked up the charger, so I knew these were fresh.

Yep, it was the job pimp once again ignoring my request NOT to call me on my cell.

He said he had some good news for me and to please call him back.

I dialed his number at 8:45am and left a message on his voice mail.

Within fifteen minutes he called back to say that Coty was going to offer me the job.

HUZZAH!

I'll be getting more information about the particulars come Monday, or possibly Tuesday.

Oooh la-la!

A gig at a clean, air conditioned plant?

Come to Poppa!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOPE YER NOT BUMMED OUT ANYMORE. CONGRATS ON THE GIG. GO DESTINKIFY THE WORLD

July 09, 2011 1:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Colin. Thanks for the "I owe you" acknowledgement. That'll be $100,000 please.

Thank you, in anticipation.

August 09, 2011 4:25 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

Funny thing about that, Colin.

Even though I was told by theagent that they wanted to make a job offer, nothing ever came of it.

Sorry about that $100,000.

August 13, 2011 7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home