Saturday, April 24, 2010

An Offer I Can't Refuse


Just when I think I'm out, they keep pullin' me back in.

So there I was, feeling like a jerk for turning down the only full-time job I've been offered in the past nine months when my trac-phone starts ringing.

Now this is kind of odd for two reasons.

One, I quite often go days at a time without even having the danged thing turned on because...

Two, hardly nobody has my cell number.

"It's either Michelle, or a wrong number, " I mused.

It was my old boss, the Vice President of Operations, calling from the dishrack factory!

The good news is that orders have been picking up at the plant.

The bad news is, they're stretched so thin in the supervision department that neither he nor the Plant Manager can do anything but baby sit the production floor.

The bottom line is that Dave wanted to get someone back in the plant with Quality Control and Supervision experience that was already familiar with the product and processes.

Now, I don't know if I was at the top of hi list or not, but after taking a "pass" on the Caterpillar position, but I was ready to talk about it.

Looks like I'll be there as a temporary hourly employee for six weeks. The up side is that I'll be making $147% of what Caterpillar was offering and that I will get paid time-and-a-half for overtime. (And there will be overtime!)

The downside is that there is not assurance of a permanent gig.

At least not yet.

When / if that time comes, I'll put on my negotiating hat and see if I can finally get that raise they never gave me.

I'll have to set the old alarm clock so I can report the plant at 6:30, Monday morning.

6 Comments:

Blogger furiousBall said...

well hey, it's something for sure - congrats!

April 24, 2010 2:18 PM  
Blogger Allan said...

That's good news!
Letting you go was a mistake. I hope they don't make it twice.

April 25, 2010 9:06 AM  
Blogger secret agent woman said...

Great news and I do hope it leads to something permanent.

April 26, 2010 8:22 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

Congratulations!

April 27, 2010 10:28 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

congrats my amour!!!!

April 28, 2010 4:43 PM  
Blogger the blogger formerly known as yinyang said...

Congratulations! Hopefully they've come to their senses by now and hired you back on permanently.

May 21, 2010 3:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home