Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Let's Get Away From It All

My sister, Kim and I were sent, on occasion, to spend a week with whatever relatives we had living in Crystal Beach, Ontario. This was fun for us young 'uns, as the main economy of that town was the Crystal Beach Amusement Park.

I remember visits where I would stay with my Grandma, my Uncle Norm and his clan or my Uncle Gene and his brood. Sure, there'd be the brief bout of home sickness, but it was nothing that a trip to the park or some Cadbury candy bars couldn't fix.

You know, now that I am a parent with a 3-1/2 year old I have to wonder if my folks didn't bundle us off to get some peace and quiet for a week. Hmmm... I stayed with Uncle Gene in the Summer of 1963 and in March of 1964 my sister, Amy, was born.

Being stranded here in Fayetteville, NC, it just isn't possible to pack Mariel off to her Aunts' or Uncles' houses. Oh, but that would be sweet for all involved.

I feel sorry that she won't get to have the fun of spending lazy Summer days with her relatives as I once did.
"Mommy? Daddy? I'm ready to be amused. Amuse me. Now!"

5 Comments:

Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

It's sad that we are more spread out across the country these days and we can't visit family like we used to. My Grandparents used to have a grandkids week every summer. It would be impossible to pull off today.

June 05, 2007 10:44 PM  
Blogger furiousBall said...

It sucks as we spread our families across the country (or countries in some cases) like butter. There are thin spots and all it does is hurt the kids.

June 06, 2007 12:01 PM  
Blogger Charlotta-love said...

Hmm...about your sister. Wonder how that just works out that way.

I have never lived close to my extended family. Everyone lived in California except us and we were all the way out in Texas. Unfortunately I'm not as close to most of my cousins. My siblings and I want to correct this when we have our own families. One thing that my extended family has done for the past decade is bi-annual letters. Twice a year my mom organizes a huge mass emailing. All the families send her the recent happenings then she compiles them together and emails the rest of us. This way I at least know who is doing what and where so-and-so is now, etc. It's the best we can do. :o)

June 06, 2007 2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my god daughter/niece is too adorable

June 06, 2007 6:03 PM  
Blogger CS said...

Yes, that's precisely why you were sent to stay with relatives. The dirty little secret of parenting - sometimes you just need a break from your babies!

June 10, 2007 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home