Friday, December 15, 2006

What's YOUR Story?

Whew! Here is my first "official" post for December and it's already half over! I'm still pretty spent from dredging up that long-winded Frank Zappa story. I had mixed feelings about even posting it in the first place, for a number of reasons.



    It could have been construed as gratuitously self-aggrandizing.

    It could have come off as sounding whiny and self-pitying.

    It could have been long and boring with no real pay-off for the reader.

    It might've sounded like I wanted to demonize my high school buddy





But then I remembered: THIS IS A BLOG! The above points are practically prerequisites for any post!

But enough about me!

I have a challenge for you, my blogging buddies. Post your own similar stories! Have you had any "brushes with greatness?" I'll bet they're a lot more common than we might suspect!

Did you meet Bob Balaban at an IHOP? Does your cousin deliver laundry to Elena Verdugo's chiropractor? Did you once see John Lithgow drop his ice cream cone? Is Andy Devine your godfather? Did you once see Mitch Miller at a hotel swimming pool? Were you ever flipped off by Yoko Ono?

Let's hear it! Post either the story or a link to the story in the "comments" section here.

7 Comments:

Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

I don't know if you could even call it a brush but I saw Howie Long in an airport once. I guess he counts as a celebrity. That is about it... Whoopee!

December 16, 2006 10:01 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

Huh! And I thought I had a Long story!

(P.S. I actually did see Mitch Miller at a hotel's swimming pool. I also saw John Lithgow eating and ice cream cone, too, though he didn't drop it.)

December 17, 2006 7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I arrived in the airport that was the very last stop bfore going to Paris Island I met Tiny Tim.

He was a giant of a man! He was very nice and signed an autograph.

More in the next comment...

Ha! Two can play the waiting game.

December 17, 2006 11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My "brush" was a bit more than a brush. I spent a weekend making wild, passionate love with Mick Jagger. Well, not really, but I certainly got your attention, didn't I?

Uh... let's see... I once had lunch at Katz' Deli on Houston St. and passed right by the actual table where Meg Ryan faked her orgasm for "When Harry met Sally." --- Not good enough?

Okay, how about this: my father grew up on the same block as James Cagney. They reconnected later in their lives, and Cagney used to call our house. The phone would ring, my mother would answer it, and he'd say, "Hello, Dear," in that voice you’ve all heard on the big screen. She - a woman not easily shaken - would get absolutely school-girlishly flustered!

Jim and my dad corresponded regularly, envelopes from him never having any return address in order to insure his privacy and to prevent them from being stolen. (I have these letters). Postcards would not be signed by him because postal workers had made off with some for the “autograph.”

The thing that Cagney “gave” me – albeit unknowingly – is a wish. He signed an 8 x 10 publicity photo for my uncle “To George – all that’s good, Jim.” That seems to me to be a very fine wish, and I often end letters to friends with it. By the way, George (known as “Specs” because he was the first major league infielder to wear eye-glasses) was playing for the St. Louis Cardinals when they beat the NY Yankees in the 1926 World Series.

Jim’s autobiography contains a poem written by my father. A photo of Cagney and my uncle can be seen here.

All that's good - Wizened Wizard

December 18, 2006 6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm! Getting bumped up to first class and sitting next to Ron Howard's brother-in-law just doesn't stack up to Specs & Jim!

December 21, 2006 5:26 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

skeet: All you have to do is add some ninjas and a car chase to your story and it'll be a classic! Thanks for stopping by!

December 21, 2006 8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did a post on my blog yesterday about the days when I was a media darling. Yes, I was front page news for a few years. So you can claim knowing me as another brush if you like, lol!

http://skeetsclutteredlife.blogspot.com/2006/12/ive-been-tagged.html

Sorry! I don't know if it's possible to make it clickable in a comment box, and if I mess it up I can't go back & edit!

December 21, 2006 4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home