Sunday, January 18, 2009

It's VOX! It's What's Happening!


A friend of mine has been buying and restoring electric guitars and amps for a few years, now. He recently sent me a picture of a VOX Super Lynx Deluxe he just picked up:


As you can see, it is pretty trashed. Now, my first "real" guitar as a teenager was a VOX Super Lynx Deluxe. (It replaced a CONRAD solid body that had replaced the SEARS SILVERTONE guitar that got incinerated in a day-after-Christmas house fire. But I digress...)

I have a picture of me playing the VOX box around here somewhere, I just can't find it right now.

What I did find, however, was a 35 year old picture I took for my 11th grade photography class. It is basically bunch of junk that crystallized my High-School obsessions:


Can you spot the Beatles LPs and songbooks? How about the open reel tapes and headphones? Harder to spot is the HARMONY H-440 amp head and 8mm movie projector. Right there in the middle, though, is my VOX Super Lynx Deluxe!

I scanned some higher-quality details for my pal. Here you can see the pickguard and the bridge that are missing from his corpse.

And here is the headstock, showing the tuners with their weird plastic tuning pegs. These might be kind of hard to get exact replacements for. (Oh, yeah, there's my Popeye Spinach Can toy.)

This guitar is long-gone, so I can't wait to see how my friend's restoration job turns out.



(Here's a mint version in the original case)



HERE IS AN UPDATE FROM MY FRIEND: "Hi Craig, Here is a shot of the Vox so far. The body is back together and all the hardware is cleaned up and working. Except for some replaced screws everything is original. The fretboard needed to be planed down and the fret slots ended up a bit too shallow to hold the new frets. I whipped up a Jackass jig to press them in place till the glue set. It seems to be working although it will take more tinkering to make the finished job look good. Normaly I would just cut new slots but that would go through the neck binding and that would drive me nuts. Today I will shape and polish the frets then install the new grover repro tunners. If the bridge ever arrives the guitar should be back together and hopefully playing by next week."

Lookin' good, Bill!


Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger furiousBall said...

that's awesome, i love vox guitars (and amps too!). one day i'm going to build my collection of PRS' back up again and after that, I'm getting either a Gretsch White Falcon or a really, really nice Fender Mustang

January 18, 2009 9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BORING!!!

This blog is just a compendium of tedious essays on bad cartoons, bad music and crappy guitars.

Excuse me, now, for I must go update my American Idol page.

January 19, 2009 10:33 AM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

I know nothing of guitars but I love the picture of your "obsessions".

January 19, 2009 2:46 PM  
Blogger twang25 said...

I could send a picture of the finished guitar if anyone would like to see.

January 19, 2009 5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both my boys have VOx amps, but I didn't realize they also made guitars.

January 19, 2009 5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To: "Blog Readers Everywhere"...
You, sir, are a douche of the highest order

January 19, 2009 6:33 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

Welcome to blogger, twabg 25. This is my buddy, Bill, who is rebuilding the VOX.

January 25, 2009 2:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have an original just like this in near perfect condition if you know of anyone is looking for one. All following comments will be forwarded to me. Just post

June 04, 2009 4:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Peter, Im interested in old Vox guitars are still selling your Super Lynx?

August 20, 2009 4:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome post,
I currently have a 60's era (approximately 1966) Vox Super Lynx Deluxe with a few minor problems. Mainly the whammy bar is broken.
Can you recommend a website for old Vox parts (or similar) that may have the piece in question?

September 27, 2009 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These guitars were sold in Canada under the Espana name. All my research tells me that they are very well (Italian) made guitars

December 29, 2014 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home