Sunday, July 06, 2008

NC to NY

Yep. I've been thinking about our upcoming trip from Fayetteville, NC to Buffalo, NY at the end of this month.

According to mapquest.com, this is a 730 mile trip that should take 12 hours and 16 minutes.

730 miles x $4/gallon x 20 miles/gallon = $116.80 in gas, each way.

I hear gasoline is going for about $4.20/gallon in Buffalo, so maybe I should figure on $122.64, each way. Let's make that $250, round trip. Could be worse.

If the trip truly takes "only" 12 hours and 16 minutes, maybe we don't need to break it up into a two day journey, each way, with a stop-over at a motel.

Could be done, I suppose. That'd free up two days and some vacation cash.

But let's be realistic.

That 12 hour figure could not possibly take into account bathroom breaks and stopping to eat.

There's no way that the inevitable road work and attendant detours have been included in that etimate.

How about all the time we'll spend getting lost? Huh? How about that Mr. Smarty-Pants-MapQuest?

Nah, it looks like it's going to be a two-day trip, both ways.

6 Comments:

Blogger the blogger formerly known as yinyang said...

When traveling with children, my family and I have found it helpful to add at least two hours to the trip estimate. And if you're anything like us, it'll probably take you an extra half-hour just to get out of the driveway.

July 06, 2008 7:23 AM  
Blogger furiousBall said...

i work in the banking industry, i can probably put you in touch with someone to discuss refi'ing your home to pay for gas

July 06, 2008 5:57 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

Yeah, I think the 2 day drive is the way to go (especially with the little one).

July 08, 2008 12:20 AM  
Blogger Allan said...

Whatever you do , don't drive like me...I speed. It burns the gas but it was worth it.
Be safe and travel well!

July 08, 2008 11:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Did you take out another mortgage to pay for the gas? Or are you independently wealthy? Or maybe you could rob banks along the way to pay for the trip.

I'd totally do that drive in a day, by the way. But I'm cheap.

July 09, 2008 12:13 AM  
Blogger Craig D said...

yinyang: ONLY and extra half hour?

dorky dad/furiousball: Yeah, I wonder where I'm supposed to get the money for this trip. If I figure it out, I'll let you know. (That idea about bank merits further consideration...)

whim: Mariel has been a very good traveler. On previous trips, anyway.

allan: I generally set the cruise control to the posted speed limit. Yeah, I'm like that.

July 09, 2008 7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home