Saturday, June 07, 2008

Budget Bin Revisted

In between trips to the doctor last week I received two CDs in the mail from my pal, Paul Urbahns. (See illustration, at left.)

Paul has devoted much time and effort in researching one of my favorite budget sound-alike labels from the 'sixties, HIT RECORDS. He was involved with assembling these two compilations for the German YELLOW LABEL records imprint.

Each disc contains two dozen tracks recorded by Nashville session musicians and singers. There is a pleasing mix of sound-alike covers (Sally Go Round The Roses, It's My Party, Surf City, Twistin' USA, etc.) and B-Side originals (Tiger In My Tank, I'm So Lonely, You Can't Trust A Friend, etc.)

Forty years after the fact we can now listen to these budget bombs on our CD players in all their glory. Kudos to Paul and company!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Allan said...

If you ever get a job here, I will make you a DJ. I think you'd do well.

June 07, 2008 9:35 PM  
Blogger Rockinbee said...

Hi Craig,
If you would like, I have several Hit Current Hits LP's posted on Rockhall.ro. You can post them if you would like. May I post some of your budget stuff on Rockhall? I have let Dolang post stuff on his blog "Tobaldolang's Music".

As said above I am posting the Current Hits LP on Rockhall. I have posted 1-12 and will try to do up to 22 or so. I am missing 14and 20 though.

Remember: "Music is fun for everyone"

Rockinbee

January 23, 2009 7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home