Saturday, June 21, 2008

Thwarted Economic Stimulus Plan Thwarted

I received my "Economic Stimulus" check a couple weeks back.

My plan for the check was to bury it in my (meagre) savings account and the heck with spending it. How is blowing my money on a Korean-made flat screen TV helping the USA economy? Plus, a big, big chunk of my savings went to the evil health care industry so I could maintain my medical insurance during the three month COBRA transition period when I changed jobs. Thank you, HIPPA!

My plan came a cropper when our van's electrical system went ka-put.

"Oh, and by the way, Mr. Davison, the reason the air conditioner wasn't working so good is because it was leaking oil. Shall we fix that while we have the van in the shop?"

KA-CHING!

I shall switch to "silver lining mode" to consider the following:

1. The van is once again shifting gears. Good.

2. The A/C is once again functional. Very Good.

3. The money was in-hand, thanks to the stimulus plan check. Good.

4. The money went to a locally-owned repair shop, so the money actually did help stimulate our economy. Good.

5. There is still some dough left over for our proposed family trip to Buffalo, NY at the end of July. Good.




Speaking of good...

Congrats to my brother, Scott, who has scored a new job!.

Better pay and a benefits package.

Woo hoo!

All the more impressive, given the country's current economic malaise, don't you think?

8 Comments:

Blogger furiousBall said...

definitely impressive. there are layoffs everywhere. a new administration can't come soon enough

June 21, 2008 9:33 AM  
Blogger Richard Jennings said...

Layoffs, gas prices, food prices ahhhh! I have only found good jobs on a few sites lately:

http://www.realmatch.com
http://www.simplyhired.com
http://www.craigslist.com

Lots of employers & recruiters are abandoning the "pay to post a job" model in favor of these free employment sites. So I dont see lots of jobs on the same sites that were popular 5 years ago.

June 21, 2008 2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I'm glad he money came in handy, I still think it is an insane plan. (please, please, please let McCain not win)

You have family in Buffalo or just a yen to see upstate New York?

June 22, 2008 12:13 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

something always pops up to take any spare cash.

small mercies I suppose

June 22, 2008 2:45 PM  
Blogger Lee said...

It's too bad you couldn't spend it all on "fun stuff" but at least it was around for the "must do" stuff!

Glad to hear you'll still be able to travel next month!

June 22, 2008 4:00 PM  
Blogger Allan said...

Still have $$ for vacation? That's a gold lining!

I see that Dick has visited you as well...all you have to do is put the word "job" in your post and he appears. Magical, it is.
Yeah, craigslist is where ALL the action is...Dick.

June 23, 2008 3:47 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

I hate that you had to spend the money, but I'm glad it was there for you. And hey you get to take a trip!

Congratulations to Scott! And yes it is impressive given the economy.

June 23, 2008 11:29 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

What's really been thwarted is my "silver lining!"

Yep, a week later the is back a AAMCO again. Michelle got in it yesterday to do some errands and itw ould not shift out of low. AGIAN!

Gla we threw nearly $700 at that electrical repair place. (Well, maybe tha was necessary...)

Our trip back to Buffalo might also be thwarted if this stinkin' van doesn't cooperate.

Ah, well, I still have my health and good looks.

Well, my health...

June 28, 2008 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home