Monday, January 15, 2007

A Gluten For Punishment?

I can't tell you how happy I am to announce that my brother, Scott, has discovered he is Gluten Intolerant! Or maybe he has a Wheat Allergy? Po-TAY-to, Po-TAH-to, I say.

Why would this information make me happy? Do I wish ill health on my onliest brother? Quite the opposite!

You see, this is the key to a major problem he's been having for the last few years. A problem that really only affected one part of his body... the outside!

Scott has always had "skin issues" since his earliest childhood. Eczema, for starters. Couple that with an array of allergies, like house dust for instance and you have one itchy individual.

A while back his skin discomfort got kicked up a few extra notches to where, as far as I can tell, he felt like fire ants were eating him alive 24/7. This lead to a new era of scratching and skin issues. He puffed up. Even his feet started to hurt!

He'd been to doctors, dermatologists, etc. What did they tell him? Mostly "Quack, Quack, Quack, get outta my office!"

A couple weeks back, he mentioned that #1, he gave up drinking gallons of soda pop each day and #2, he was going for a gluten-free existence. This was based on Internet research he and the wife (hey, Lesley!) had done.

The results? Feet stopped hurting. Major de-puffification. BEST OF ALL: Major itching relief!

As I said, I'm so happy for him! Here's a link to one on-line resource.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So your brother must be blessed with some of the smart genes too! Congratulations on his med school success, and best wishes for a much healthier year!

January 15, 2007 9:27 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

The last post was from me too, but I posted it anonymously so you'd think Blogger is messing with you still... ;)

But seriously, folks... Good on your brother!

January 15, 2007 9:29 PM  
Blogger whimsical brainpan said...

I'm so glad your brother is better. I've had eczema (nowhere near that bad though) and it isn't fun.

January 15, 2007 10:38 PM  
Blogger Bardouble29 said...

Interesting...I found out a few years ago that I am allergic to caffeine, I have a very uhhhhh "unique" reaction to it. I can have a moderate amount of caffeine without the reaction, so I gave up sodas, so I can still have my morning coffee....

January 16, 2007 12:20 AM  
Blogger KenM said...

Good for your brother, Craig! Must be a huge relief to have some resolution after all this time.

Personally, I'm allergic to my job.

And waking up before the sun rises.

And temperatures below 60 degrees.

Oh, and yard work.

Let's see, I think that's about it. I'll let you know if I think of any others.

January 16, 2007 9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OATS are where it's at!

January 16, 2007 10:07 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

Oh, no! one of wizard's horses has escaped! Probably because you refuse to look it in the mouth...

Y'know, being a gift and all...

Because, you're not supposed to, you know...

And...

January 17, 2007 7:35 AM  
Blogger Max and Me said...

i can tell you so much about that...my son has multiple food allergies including gluten, dairy, soy, and peanuts. i can tell you all about on-line resources to order food if you need them.

January 17, 2007 5:13 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

meander: I'll pass along anything you'd care to share resource-wise. In fact, my brother pops in here now and again. THANKS!

January 17, 2007 5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home