Thursday, July 16, 2009

In The Bunker: The Last Days VII

Yep.

This is me.
<---------

The HR Manager was here for two days but he did not speak to me. Not once.

At the end of March, a letter was handed out to the rank and file announcing the pending lay-off. There were some very vague generalities about possible benefits that might be available, with the last sentence directing the lucky ticket-holder to contact the HR Manager if they had any questions.

Seems like I heard this exchange more than once last week:

Employee [to HR Manager]: Excuse me, but how do I find out about (insert concern here).

HR Manager: Remember that letter we passed out three months ago? Look at that.


So, the letter says to ask the HR Manager and then the HR manager will refer you back to the letter. OK. Got it.

By rights, tomorrow should be my last day at this job. I have it in writing that my "permanent layoff" date is 07/17/09.

I should mention that a few of the people "permanently laid off" last week have been brought back as "temps" with no benefits to try to squeak out some product to our remaining customer.

Boy, is that what I have to look forward to?

Ah, well, the countdown continues...

4 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Sometimes it seems as if you can't win for losing.

July 16, 2009 4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't worry about racks anymore; time to move on.

July 16, 2009 5:43 PM  
Blogger WizenedWizard said...

Hey, Craig.

I'm really sorry to find you once again looking for a better job. Damn. Or maybe not. As one door closes, another opens - and all that good bullshit. But maybe. I sure hope so.

We've seen business after business close up here. I wonder where it will all end.

Okay, so this isn't a very upbeat comment, but coming here sort of gave me a personal bite of the reality sandwich.

I wish the best for you and for your family. Over the years I've noted that you are one of the good guys, one of the people I'd be proud to know beyond the blogosphere. Thanks for dropping by The Latent Artist, and if you ever find yourself in the mood for some North Country scenery, please let me know. We have extra room, and we feed people pretty well. (You do like tofu, right)?

The best to you, my friend.

Wiz

July 17, 2009 5:54 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

Why, yes.

Yes, I do like tofu!

July 18, 2009 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home