Tuesday, May 19, 2009

From Today's Headlines (to Tomorrow's Breadlines)

From The Sampson Independent:
Clinton’s Nestaway plant is reducing its workforce, effective at the end of May. It will impact 75 production, administrative and management employees.

Employees were actually notified of the reduction on the last day of March from the management of Nestaway, LLC, a Leggett & Platt Incorporated company. The company is recognized as an industry leader in the appliance and housewares market. The Clinton plant primarily manufactures dishwasher racks. According to company officials, the reduction in force is the result of excess manufacturing capacity.

“We are certainly concerned about the reduction in the workforce at the Nestaway plant here in Clinton,” said John Swope, Sampson County Economic Development director. “ Any time you have a reduction in the workforce it hurts the local economy, but it hurts the employees even more. This action from the home office of Nestaway is not surprising given the current state of the national economic situation. We are very optimistic that the economy will soon be turning around and we will not see any more additional cuts locally.”

The press release from Nestaway indicated the decision to reduce the Clinton operation was in no way related to the abilities or productivity of the employees at the local facility.

The first reduction is expected to occur later this month. In accordance with the federal Workers’ Adjustment and Retraining Act (WARN), employees will receive at least 60 days of pay and benefits from the date they receive formal notice of the plant closure.

Peggy Davis, manager of the Sampson County office of the Employment Security Commission, said her office will conduct an informational meeting with the Nestaway employees later this week to provide them employment and training opportunities that are available they enter the ranks of the unemployed.

Davis also stated that other agencies would accompany her to provide information on services that they may be able to provide. Those agencies include DSS, Sampson Community College; the Sampson County Health Department and WIA, (Workforce Investment Act).

In the memo released by Jim Trimble, manager, Human Resources, Nestaway, it reads, “The company is exploring several sources of outplacement assistance for employees, including job placements services available through various outside agencies.”

Outplacement activities for employees will be coordinated through his offices Any area businesses with employment opportunities for workers displaced by the closing are encouraged to contact Trimble’s office.

First, the good news: I didn't get a sixty day layoff notice at the end of March, as noted in the above story. The "effective end of May" part isn't quite right, either, as we should be going on at a pretty good clip past that date.

Now, the other news: I got my layoff notice today. I am pretty much guaranteed employment through July 17th, but after that, the crystal ball goes dark.

The sad thing is, I can't really blame this on the current economic fiasco. But that's all I'm going to say about that aspect of it for right now.

I guess I'd better cram in as many medical visits as I can between now and mid-July...

10 Comments:

Blogger Bardouble29 said...

Man that rough! I am sorry to hear that. I will keep you in my thoughts. Hopefully something new will turn up quickly for you.

May 20, 2009 2:03 PM  
Blogger Martin said...

Bloody hell.

Sorry to hear that.

Sorrier to hear that it should affect your ability to get medical care. Ridiculous in fact.

Best of luck.

May 21, 2009 1:46 PM  
Blogger Allan said...

Damn. I am very sorry to hear that. I hope things get better soon, neck included.

May 22, 2009 5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. I am so sorry.

May 22, 2009 7:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

guess your pie chart thingy looks pretty good right now. (wow- that was SO wrong!! I'm sorry egg, but don't get too down. you can dump your house and move down here or back to buff, which it occurs to me was a 'dream' of y'alls not too long ago. if i can help, i will. let me know. we love you)

May 22, 2009 7:26 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

allan & cotw: Tanks, guys. Let's see how the Summer progresses.

Ass-nony-mouse: Yeah, you can see what all those 13-hour pie slices earned me! I'll look you up once the house goes in to foreclosure. Love you, too, man!

May 23, 2009 8:56 AM  
Blogger Lee said...

Sorry to hear the news Craig.

My fingers are crossed that a better opportunity will come your way soon!

May 23, 2009 7:42 PM  
Anonymous Ian House said...

Craig, my friend,

I apologize that I'm just reading this news now ... This is very discouraging. If I can help somehow, please let me know ...

May 27, 2009 12:01 PM  
Blogger Kim Davison said...

Craigy,
That is really the pits! I hope something wonderful will come along.

May 30, 2009 10:33 PM  
Blogger Craig D said...

UPDATE: The "rank-and-file" that were given an end-of-May lay-off date have received letters changing that to 07-10-09. This is a week before my scheduled lay-off on 07-17-09.

FWIW

June 04, 2009 9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home